XXII

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

People claimed that Quebec was culturally and geographically a bridge between Europe and the Americas. It featured exemplary modern fine dining and an endless amount of rustic buildings rich in history. Arriving in December was no mistake either. The bricked streets were covered in a fresh layer of soft snow and the air was refreshing and crisp.

Instead of residing in a fancy hotel like Ridgeman Prep had always opted for on previous excursions, they had decided to change things up and book a few homey cabins in the woods instead. The thought had Kendall mildly disgusted at first, her mind imagining a moulding and termite-infested structure of wood with dusty bed sheets, but upon landing her eyes on the surprisingly trendy but cozy looking cabin, she started to reconsider.

Even though all the students were still in the dark about who they were rooming with, it still took Kendall by surprise when she was handed a key to cabin 4 by Ms Belrose, with Xavier in tow behind her, a string of muttered complaints escaping his mouth. Apparently the school had planned it so the students in the fluent French class were paired with the not-so-fluent students to help them and to ensure no one would be in danger when alone in their pairs around the town. Olivia had been paired with Wesley.

Although Kendall was placed with Xavier, at least it wasn't Wesley. Wesley and Olivia were in the cabin opposite them. Kendall returned Olivia's grimace when the two caught each other's eyes. Olivia gave her a thumbs up before following Wesley, who was paying no attention to anything except for the lock of the door, into cabin 3.

Kendall let out a soft sigh, mentally preparing herself for the next awkward moments to come. She watched her breath visibly fan out in a soft cloud for a second before gripping the situation in front of her.

Literally.

Kendall slid the skeleton key into the lock and grabbed the handle of the door, pushing it open before stepping into her accomodation, wheeling her Louis Vuitton suitcase with her. Xavier followed her, his navy duffel bag in hand.

"Jesus, Kendall, it's a school excursion not fashion week." Xavier said, slight exasperation in his tone.

Kendall refrained from blurting out a rude remark which would only add to the pain of the rooming allocation situation. Instead, she kept her back to Xavier and took her heeled booties off, her feet screaming in relief. "What am I supposed to do? Show up carrying a piece of crap plastic suitcase from Target that says 'adventurer at heart'?" She calmly asked him, her tone dry and bitter.

Kendall didn't need to turn around to know Xavier had rolled his eyes. He kept to himself and started to walk towards the extended area of the cabin where the hallways separated into two bedrooms. Xavier headed towards the room on the left, claiming it as his, leaving the room on the right for Kendall. Maybe because Xavier knew that Kendall was always right...