XXXVII

A Richer Shade of Gold

Chapter Thirty-Seven

"The idea of London sounds appealing to me,"

"Does it now?" Kendall hummed, fastening the buckle on her heels as Wesley hovered about her bedroom. She stood, emerald silk cascading down the curves of her body and Wesley grinned.

"You look exquisite in that colour," He said, offering a hand to her.

She stepped forward, smiling, before taking his hand. "People often forget that green is just as festive as red in the holiday season."

Wesley's eyes seemed to darken, Kendall wondered if it was due to the dimness of the lights or not. "Red is a power colour, don't get me wrong. But there's something about that striking shade of green that exudes a formidable intrigue."

Kendall placed her free hand on his arm, gently sliding her hand over the smoothness of his suit, "Try to contain yourself, my dear."

Wesley chuckled just as he always did, with an air of effortlessness and lightheartedness. "You're making it especially difficult tonight."

Kendall didn't refuse the curl that beseeched her lips. The pair descended the stairs of the Emeretta household, and just before they reached the corner of the dining room, Kendall glanced over at Wesley, equipped with his charming grin and effortlessly classy dress-wear. She stopped him, looking him in the eye. "I suppose you're serious about a trip for just us two then?" Kendall wasn't opposed to London...that way she could explore the city in which she would soon be living in.

His hand reassuringly slid to the small of her back and he nodded, "Of course, I wouldn't mention it had I been flippant regarding it. Also, shall we say anything to them regarding our... situation?" His eyes looked to hers for confirmation.

Kendall's hand found Wesley's bicep and she pecked his lips, "Let me think about it." She said before disappearing into the dining room where both their parents were seated, painfully unaware that their children went from enemies to lovers.

-

Wesley was once again seated opposite her at the dinner table, evoking a reminder of the mischievous gaze he gave her when they first met-much like the one he was sending her way now. This time, however, she returned it with the same playful glint in her eyes.

"I see you two have learnt to get along now." William said as his hand gently swivels the glass of cabernet. Eliza and Henry both nod in agreement.

If they were seated next to each other, perhaps Kendall would have taken Wesley's hand and said to her father that they were...something more. However, Wesley opposite her was less than ideal for such a situation. She would not be leaning over the cuisine and glassware before them.

"Yes, there's a certain glow about the pair of you." Clarissa smiled, perhaps a little smugly. Kendall was comfortable with Clarissa, however, she would have to ensure Clarissa doesn't reach her father with her suspicions before Kendall has the chance to tell him herself.

"Now that you mention it, Clarissa, you have struck me as more relaxed as of late, Kendall." William, much to Kendall's surprise, pointed out. Kendall felt something nudge her leg and she didn't have to look at Wesley's face to identify the smug smirk plastered across his expression.

"Well, I'm sure if the contract isn't renewed after tonight, we can find a way to arrange the reversal of this relationship." Kendall quipped, her cheeky smile offering Eliza and Henry relief from the occurrences of the last dinner the six of them endured. The table rumbled with soft chuckles.