VIII

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

          Kendall ground her teeth as another magazine page was flipped by Clarissa, the crisp sound of the page curling over echoing throughout the boutique they were situated in.

Kendall sighed, stood up from the couch she was on and walked over to her father who was browsing around the boutique. "I need a new phone."

"What's wrong with your current one?" He asked, paying very little attention to her.

"It's been commandeered."

"By who?"

Kendall grimaced, "You wouldn't like to know."

"My patience is thinning, just tell me." He demanded.

"Archer."

William Emeretta turned to face his daughter, "I beg your pardon?"

"Wesley Archer took my phone," Kendall explained as if it was the most obvious thing.

Kendall's father grunted, "And why would he do that?"

Kendall sighed, "That's something I myself would like to know."

"Just retrieve it from him. He's a well-raised boy, he will give it back considering you ask him nicely."

Kendall groaned, "You really haven't met him."

"You're not getting a new one when you can just ask for it back." He told her sternly.

Kendall huffed but didn't argue, retaking her spot on the couch. As if her father couldn't afford to buy her a new phone, no, this had Clarissa written all over it: probably something about saving or 'less is more' or whatever it is poor people say to make themselves feel richer. Clarissa cleared her throat and turned another page.

"Excuse me," Kendall said brusquely, not being able to take it anymore, "would you mind not turning those pages as if you were a child?"

"Kendall," her father warned from the counter of the boutique they were in, "Enough. You are the one acting like a child."

"Why are you always defending her? Is it because she doesn't know how to speak on her own or is it because she doesn't have a spine?" Kendall questioned, savagery laced in her tone.

"Enough." William Emeretta's voice boomed through the tiny store before he let out an annoyed sighed, fed up with all the arguments he and his daughter had been having. "Why can't you just be happy for me instead of being a brat?" He shot back at his daughter.