XXIV

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

"Where are you going?"

"Cabin three." Xavier replied nonchalantly, shrugging his coat on.

"Olivia's cabin?" Kendall asked, already knowing the answer. Xavier simply nodded as he slipped his snow-boots onto his feet. "Why?"

"If you must know, I'm going to see Wesley."

Kendall frowned. She was fine with Xavier hanging out with Olivia but her attitude changed when it came to Wesley. She knew she currently wasn't in the right place to say anything but she didn't approve. She wished her and Xavier could just get over their fight but it was Xavier who messed with her. And it hurt for Kendall.

"Don't make that face, Kendall." Xavier sighed, "In the midst of our argument, did you expect me to twiddle my thumbs and be all alone?" Xavier's tone was soft and careful, but Kendall could detect the exasperation and annoyance laced within it.

"I didn't say anything. Be friends with whomever you wish." Kendall replied, lifting her chin up. "Just be wary around Wesley."

"We're just hanging out." Xavier rolled his eyes, "I'm not going to label him my best friend or boyfriend, for that matter."

Xavier stood up, his hand heading for the door knob but Kendall called his name, redirecting his attention to her. "Why did you do it, Xavier?"

"I didn't do it." Xavier replied, an expression of mild anger and disappointment upon his face. "I know how much you think it hurts that I 'betrayed' you, but you don't know how much more it hurts that you don't believe me."

Xavier slipped out of the cabin without hearing Kendall's answer. She knew he wasn't interested in hearing one. Kendall sighed and sat down on one of the couches in the cabin, reflecting on how much it felt like the two were strangers now. Xavier had stopped calling her by her nickname, 'K', and resorted back to calling her by her name. She wasn't expecting it to, but that hurt as well as the hole in her heart left by him.

After changing into more snow-appropriate clothing, Kendall left for a walk. The cabins were surrounded by woods and Kendall wanted to be outside. She didn't mind the snow. It was bitter and chilling to the bone but that was what Kendall longed for. She needed a breath of fresh air. Kendall left cabin 4 with nothing but the key and her sour attitude.

The snow crunched under her boots, giving her the urge to stomp around even more. Her heavy sigh panned out in a wisp of white in front of her. As a child, Kendall always used to love when her breath would fan out in a cloud around her. She loved it as much as the next kid. Letting out another huff, Kendall hugged herself and shook a little, heading in the direction of the woods.