IV

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"Excuse me?" Kendall choked out.

"You heard me," Wesley answered, his grin still plastered across his face. Kendall hissed out a string of swear words, turning away to shield her unimpressed expression from Wesley's invasive eyes.

"What was that?" He hummed.

Kendall looked up and gave him a glare. "You heard me." She snarled back, mocking him from just moments ago. Kendall didn't like using profanities so much. She felt that if people weren't used to her swearing all the time then it would be a great shock to them when she did. Still, that didn't mean Kendall was afraid to swear.

"I just thought I'd clarify."

Kendall's mouth moved to insult Wesley, however, the rational part of her brain stopped her before she could further embarrass herself and her father in front of potential business partners. "Well, with regards to me holding your hand, I can promise no such thing, however, a brief tour is not out of the question. After all, there's a certain way things are ran at Ridgeman Prep and you'll have to be informed of who's in charge, of course." Kendall's eyes glimmered in the dim lighting. Use your brain, not your heart. That's how you win. If Wesley was anything worthy of her time, he would understand this too.

-

The student body of Ridgeman Prep fell into a low chatter as Kendall's black Louis Vuitton heels hurriedly clacked against the marbled floors.

"Xavier!" She called quietly when she was a couple of steps away from her friend who was rummaging through his neatly organised locker.

"K, slow down or you'll twist an ankle." Xavier scolded his best friend who was rushing over towards him, a look of annoyance on her face and a hint of urgency in her tone.

"Did you hear what Xavier just said?" A voice hissed somewhere nearby.

"Yeah, it sounded so...unmanly." Someone giggled.

Xavier rolled his eyes, "Right," he murmured, "no one really knows yet."

Kendall gave him a small smile, placing a hand on his arm, "It's okay, Xav. Follow my lead." Kendal raised her voice, "I can cover the hospital bill if I twist my ankle, Xav!"

Xavier shot a smile back at Kendall, scrambled his thoughts for a second and nodded, "The hospital bill isn't the problem, it's the admittance that will be embarrassing! I'm just being courteous to your health and social wellbeing, I'd do it even if you were unranked."