XX

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"Oh, it's you." Kendall heard herself say when Clarissa walked over to where Kendall was sat. Kendall had made her way into a spacious hallway outside the function room and was hunched over on a white couch.

"Were you expecting someone else?" Clarissa asked, taking a seat on the couch next to her.

"No, I guess not." Kendall murmured.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Clarissa asked, trying to be somewhat helpful.

"Just because you've married my father does not mean you're now my mother." Kendall snapped hastily. But the moment the harsh words left her glossed lips, she knew she deeply regretted them.

She drew a breath, "Sorry, I didn't meant that."

"It's okay," Clarissa replied, offering a small smile. "You know, my dad remarried when I was young too."

Kendall glanced at Clarissa, expecting her to continue to which she did. Clarissa chuckled, "My younger sister and I terrorised her. We also hid her wedding dress on her wedding day. So I guess I deserved what I got when my hair got ruined."

"I had nothing to do with your hair fiasco." Kendall told her. "It was Xavier."

Clarissa nodded, "I guessed that that's what you two were arguing over."

"Well, actually, we were going to but I told him not to go through with it in the end." Kendall confessed, keeping her eyes trained on her heels.

"What made you change your mind?" Clarissa asked, out of curiosity Kendall assumed.

Kendall shrugged, "It was childish and I don't see myself as someone immature. Plus, what would I have gained? Nothing, so I wasn't that invested in the idea of ruining your wedding."

Clarissa nodded as she rocked her legs back and forth, "Fair enough."

There was a drawn out silence for a moment as Kendall tried to gather her scattered thoughts. She didn't feel like reappearing at the wedding but knew that ultimately she would have to. When Clarissa asked her if she wanted to head back all Kendall could do was nod and stand with her. Kendall entered the function room along with Clarissa and noticed that Xavier wasn't there.

Neither was Wesley.

"K, are you alright?" Olivia asked, pushing her chair back and standing up.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Kendall replied, giving her a tiny smile.

"K," Olivia said sternly as she pulled her into a hug, "you don't always have to put on a brave face. I know you're hurting."

"I know," Kendall murmured, "just let the mask stay on in front of people. I'd rather tell you later when we don't have prying eyes on us."