XVIII

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

November 28th rolled around faster than Kendall had anticipated. This was it. The day that, in a way, decided Kendall's future. The day that sealed her father and Clarissa's future. The only day that Kendall needed to run smoothly and flawlessly. Kendall, Xavier, Olivia and the Archers landed in Sydney yesterday along with the bride and groom. Kendall, Olivia and Xavier had been running around making sure that everything was perfect for the wedding. Kendall had kept the deal with her father from the knowledge of her friends, thinking it was for the best that no one knew.

Silver, white, periwinkle, white roses and dresses of blue and purple.

"No, I ordered a white rug, not a dark grey." Kendall sighed, putting her hands on her hips.

"I'm sorry, Miss Emeretta, we don't have white, only black or dark grey." The wedding planner, Carol, said.

Kendall rubbed her temples, trying to think of a fitting solution, "Can we get rid of the rug and have nothing?"

"I'm afraid that if the bride is wearing heels, it will be hazardous to walk on the hardwood floor of the boat without any sort of grip."

"Are you kidding?" Kendall snipped as Olivia appeared beside her.

"What's wrong?" She asked, eyebrows furrowed at Kendall's frustrated composure.

"The rug doesn't match the colour scheme and we can't have no rug."

"Is there another boat we can hire, with carpet or something?" Olivia asked.

Kendall looked at Carol expectantly and she nodded hesitantly, "Yes, but that boat is larger and costs a lot more..."

Kendall threw her a bewildered look and raised her hands, "Do we look like people short of money?"

"No, Miss Emeretta, I was only saying—"

Kendall raised a hand to stop the wedding planner's rambling, "You can go rebook the boat now."

Once the lady nodded, turned and walked away hurriedly, Olivia gave Kendall a smile, "A little harsh, K?"

Kendall waved a hand dismissively, "I just need this to be perfect." She told her best friend.

"Why? I thought you loathed Clarissa."

"I don't particularly like her but it's for my father's happiness." Kendall said, the white lie rolling off her tongue easily. Once Kendall brushed off the topic, the two got back to double checking everything and before they knew it, everything was done and dusted. Everything was in place. Olivia suggested that the three best friends go out and explore Sydney and that they did. And since they finished the final preparations so early in the day, the three had four hours to kill before they would have to prepare for the event itself. The trio visited Chinatown and compared it to the one they had back home in New York, they walked down Pitt street and watched the hopeful buskers, they walked around the Opera House and had lunch on the Harbour. It was a nice, relaxing day for Kendall. It was much needed too. She needed a break from school and Wesley and the damn wedding. And it was nice to spend it with her three best friends somewhere unfamiliar.