XXXV

A Richer Shade of Gold
Chapter Thirty-Five

Kendall didn't register what had occurred between Wesley and her until the following Monday, when he walked down the hallway, a grin plastered on his face and two takeaway coffee cups in hand.

This was really happening.

Strangely enough, Kendall felt lighter, like a heavy burden had been lifted off her delicate shoulders.

"Good morning,"

"Morning, good is only an opinion." was all Kendall replied with. She felt lighter, yes, but she also couldn't help feeling odd as well.

Wesley chuckled and handed her a cup. "So it's a great morning then." He nodded and took a sip of his coffee before muttering, "I'll take that."

"So if you claimed we were friends before, how come you've never brought me coffee until now?"

"If I had to get coffee for all my friends, I'd be heading to bankruptcy, even in my current financial state."

"I suppose it's nice to have you bringing me coffee."

"Just fulfilling my duties as the boyfriend."

Surprisingly, Kendall didn't pay much attention to what Wesley had labelled them, and Wesley was glad that there was a sense of normality between the two. Before long, they walked to class hand in hand, aware of the lingering gazes on their backs.

-

Kendall and her friends were sat at their seat in the courtyard as per usual when Wesley approached the table. He slid next to Kendall and smiled at the rest of the group.

Kendall lightly rested her head on his shoulder, "You don't have to abandon your swimming colleagues in my name, you know."

"I'm aware."

Kendall nodded after she regained her posture, "Just confirming."

"Besides, I'd like to think I get along with your friends...you know since we're past the scheming."

Kendall's lips curled, "Well now since I'll get to know you more, I'll have more to work with."

"Or, since we've pooled our Intel together, we'll be a force to reckon with."

"I suppose that would work. You'll have to excuse me, I'm not the most optimistic of sorts."

Wesley chuckled and Kendall felt oddly content. She turned to her friends who were discussing their annual Christmas trip away.

"I want to go somewhere warm this year!" Xavier complained. "Last year, Reykjavik was too cold! I don't even like skiing that much."

Kendall rolled her eyes, "We went to the Maldives three years ago and it sucked."

"We could go to Osaka, or maybe Jeju Island?" Sachi suggested, to which Ethan nodded enthusiastically.

"We shouldn't go to the snow, K, C'mon we were just in Quebec." Xavier said, and Kendall considered it for a moment.

"Where do you suppose we go then?"

"Suppose we go somewhere like Singapore, the weather's not too cold or hot. Everyone's happy."