XXVI

(Listen to the attached with the chapter)

A Richer Shade of Gold
Chapter Twenty-Six

          No matter how many times Kendall told herself what she did was fine and that it was as part of the usual malicious jest between her and Wesley, she couldn't bring herself to believe it. As she laid in her bed, cold under the covers, she wondered when she had become this way. And not just what she had become in the past few weeks but in the last few years. She wasn't always this way, but villains never start out as villains do they?

She knew she had to apologise to him, but how could she? She had acted like nothing but a fool. And what was an apology between the two than a mere meaningless three words?

The Quebec trip was quickly coming to a close and every day Kendall saw Wesley, she ached. She didn't know if it was her head, or perhaps her heart that hurt. But she knew that at least part of it was the guilt welling up inside her, shaming her about the fact that the two hadn't spoken a word for a few days and that it was all because of her impulsive behaviour.

Kendall started to squirm under the covers, the electric blanket feeling hot on her legs. She needed to apologise. After all, he had done so with her after the spa. What was she supposed to do at this hour though? It was some time past eleven.

"Screw it." She mumbled, before her impulsive nature kicked in once again...the very same nature that got her into this damn mess in the first place. So Kendall slid her snow boots on and left the cabin, the snow crunching under her shoes like they always did. She determinedly stepped up the steps of Wesley's and Olivia's cabin and was about to knock when she paused. Wesley and Olivia's cabin. What was she thinking? How would she even get in? They'd be asleep and if they weren't she would probably end up waking them both up.

Kendall let out a sigh and shivered a little. Why was it so damn cold tonight? Kendall called herself stupid a couple of times before she heard a crunch behind her.

"There's a curfew."

Kendall glanced behind and saw the person she came to see. Well, at least she had some luck on her side. "So why are you out then?"

Wesley said nothing and walked past her, pulling his hands out of his jacket pockets and unlocking the door. Kendall was about to follow him inside when he slammed the door in her face. Kendall let out a scoff as she heard the lock click. "I'm going to sit out here until you open the door."

"You'll be there for a while." He said brusquely through the door. Wesley's tone was as cold as the weather, it gave her shivers and goosebumps like the weather. It was emotionless and slightly frightening.