XXXIV

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

Kendall didn't properly think her actions through when she barged into Jennifer's townhouse. She had already shrugged her snow-kissed coat off in a hurry. She knew she was rushing so she wouldn't back away, although it would be incredibly cowardly to turn around, grab her coat and leave at this stage.

"So, where is he?" Kendall asked in a low whisper.

Jennifer shrugged, "Should be upstairs in the guest bedroom. It's the first on the right."

Kendall nodded and trudged up the stairs. Her heart was borderline about to burst out of her chest. She felt like this was all she and Wesley did—get along, fight, make up—and she was the main driver behind the final stage. She was always the one to go to him, she was almost repulsed.

She wondered how they'd make up this time. With a mutual agreement? A laugh? Or a kiss?

She didn't even know what they were? A joke was the first thing that she could think of. They were most definitely not a couple, or friends. If they were either, it'd be the twisted counterpart to that of a 'normal' couple or friends.

Kendall reached the door and stared at the handle for a moment. It'd just be so much easier for her to hate him and ignore him, than to trust him and...dare she say it, like him.

She didn't bother knocking. She took a sharp inhale and pushed her way into the room.

It took her a second to register that she was greeted by nothing other than a neatly made bed, and some bland silver furniture. She stepped in to check the bathroom, before the door took a cliché turn—literally.

"Jennifer!" She called.

She hailed no response and sighed frustratedly. This is what she got for being nice? Fancy that.

She sat on the bed awkwardly poised and prayed that Jennifer wouldn't steal her Burberry coat. She crossed one leg over the other, and sat there, not knowing what to expect or do. At least she didn't take her heeled boots off. They were worth more than the coat.

A rattle of the door handle startled Kendall from her nonchalant thoughts.

"What do you want Jen? I was in the middle of an important meeting, and my mother isn't happy I just up and left it."

Wesley's eyes met Kendall's and the two froze, like deer in front of headlights. Kendall was the first to break out of it.