XXVIII

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight

          The flight back to New York was a blur. Kendall didn't remember much of it. There was only one thing that stuck. One thing that clung to her memory banks as if it had just occurred seconds ago.

The moment she landed back on American soil, her memories and experiences in Quebec seemed like it had happened a long time ago. But they hadn't. It was only a mere 24 hours. Only a day, give or take, since she had Wesley do the unthinkable.

They were enemies. What the hell was she, or he for that matter, thinking?

During the whole flight back, it was just an endless loop playing in her head.

"So that's what it's like."

Kendall would be lying if she said she wasn't disturbed by Wesley's choice of wording that night. It wasn't like her to overthink something so much. At least she hadn't seen Wesley much after she had escaped his cabin. She had mainly hung with Olivia that day anyways, until help came and got rid of the icy snow.

The students who went to Quebec were offered two days to 'recover' from the trip overseas. Kendall hadn't planned on it, but ended up not going to school for those two days and staying in her bed instead.

It was a well needed wallow-in-self-pity kind of break.

But as the two days came to a close, Kendall was obliged to face Ridgeman Prep and was forced to put on her mask, untangle the strings and re-enter the marionette theatre that was Ridgeman Prep.

Kendall felt exhausted and questioned, for what seemed like the hundredth time in the past few weeks, her purpose and 'rank' that she fought so hard to keep. It lead to to ask herself if it really mattered and why she cared so much. Hell, why did anyone?

Another thing that reared heavily on her mind was how she and Xavier were still not back together as friends. She had so many problems and issues on her mind and wasn't sure of which to address first. But then Kendall walked into Ridgeman Prep and saw Xavier, flinging the door of his locker open and it was decided.

The first issue that will be resolved was the one involving Xavier. It was an impulse decision but then again, if Kendall's impulses could get her muddled up in messes, then they could just as easily get her out of them.

She walked towards Xavier as confidently as she could muster and offered a smile. It probably looked like a grimace though.

"I need to talk to you." Kendall told him, looking him in the eye.

Xavier said nothing, waiting for Kendall to continue.