Penny's Birthday; Part 2: A Date?

Penny POV

I woke to the burnt smell of waffles. That, I thought, would be Uncle Gadget making breakfast. I slid out of bed and got ready for the day. Pulling my hair up into the usual ponytails, I walked downstairs to discover Brain putting out another fire to the curtains. Figures. 

"Happy Birthday Penny!!!" Uncle Gadget cried skipping into the dinning room with a tray of waffles stacked high and swaying. 

"Careful Uncle Gadget!" I said taking the platter from him. I could tell which of the waffles Brain made, not being black. I giggled, I love my family. 

After a delicious breakfast I left with my uncle to HQ. I was not surprised to see a wild Kayla fling herself at me. Lacking oxygen, I tapped her arm. 

"Cannt breeth!" I wheezed.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY PENNY!!! I can't BELIEVE your 16 already! I got your party all set up for later after hours! This is GOING TO BE THE BEST PARTY EVER!!!"

I smiled. Only one thing could make this birthday better. If only it could happen.

Talon POV

I woke again at 8 to my bracer's usual alarm. The date was May 22. I sat up and yawned. Staggering to the bathroom I threw water in my face and looked at my reflection. I looked tired, dark circles ringing my eyes. Why was I up so late again? Oh yeah!!! Today's Pretty Penny's birthday! I quickly got ready and swept my hair into perfect spikes. I grabbed the package next to my bed and started to walk down the hall. Suddenly I heard the creak of a door and I hurriedly placed the present out of sight in a hallway next to me.

"Talon. Where are you going!?" Uncle C demanded.

"I have some evil pranks to pull on my enemies, so I'll pass that wonderful test you made in MAD university!" I said proudly.

"Oh. Ok, then. You better not fail!" he walked away and I hid the package in front of me. Don't think about what I just said, don't think about what I just said... I pleaded in my head.

"Wait a second. Talon what..." Claw said turning around.

"Bye Uncle C!!! See ya later okay?!" I said blasting out of the nearest window. Uncle Claw didn't own a university or make a test.

Penny POV

Since it was my birthday, HQ let me go early today. I really didn't know what to do so I took a walk in the park. I quietly sat down on a park bench and observed the scenery. It was a beautiful day, the sky was a perfect shade of blue that corresponded nicely with the green trees and golden flowers. I was so into the colors I almost didn't notice when a shadow across the field moved. What was that?! I thought, suddenly wary.

I tried to convince myself it was nothing but curiosity got the better of me. I made my way across the field and was just about to push the bushes aside when a soccer ball hit the back of my legs. I turned to see a team of kids chasing after it but stopping when they saw me pick it up. "Here you go." I handed them the ball.

They smiled and ran off. I turned back to the bushes but the shadow was gone. Weird, I thought to myself. Oh well. I strolled around the park. I found a box of abandoned chalk. I knew it was pretty silly but I sat down and started to draw with them. In the middle of my artwork, I sat up jerkily as a shadow passed over me. I looked up and around but nothing was there. "Ok," I thought out loud, "this is getting pretty creepy."

I left my half done artwork and continued home.

Talon POV

I peered out from behind a tree. Dang it. Penny looked a little nervous and started to speed walk away. When she was out of sight I went over to where she was and observed her work. She was actually a fairly good artist! There was a large sun that's rays were bent to look like golden hair in two pigtails. Its 'body' was holding hands with the moon's. The moon had it's glow warped to look like hair slicked up into spikes. The drawing wasn't complete but it was really cool. I looked around to make sure no one was watching and took a picture with my MAD phone. Something was familiar about this picture.