The Ball-Part 3: Magical and Mysterious Things Happen When You Dance

Talon POV:

I watched as Penny danced before me.  She swirled around in my arms, more graceful than a swan.  Her sapphire eyes twinkled under the lights of the chandelier.  Her ruby red lips just perfect for-

I really needed to stop thinking like that.

We were dancing near the edge of the wall now, close to an open door.  Upon glancing through it, I saw a smaller ballroom.  Probably for smaller parties, I decided.  It wasn't important.  I suddenly remembered that Dove and I had locked Lark in it during one of these...thingies.

The fascinating thing about that door, was that it locked from the outside, and didn't have a key hole on the inside.  As soon as you walked in, the door shut behind you. 

Suddenly, somebody pushed Penny and I through the door.  Typical.  The door slammed behind us, and naturally, knowing the properties of this door, I didn't try to get out.  I just sat down on a couch looking thingy, and watched as Penny tried to open it.  It was kind of funny.  Just like old times.

"Could use a little help here!" she said subtlety.

I decided I should probably help her out.  "That door doesn't open from this side, Angel.  It doesn't even have a key hole."

She sat down on the floor, leaning against the door, in defeat.  I could see she was pretty upset.  Tears started running down her cheeks.

"Hey," I said soothingly, walking over to her and sitting down, "what's wrong?"

"Sorry Talon," she sobbed, "I probably don't want to see me blubbering this."  She sniffed,  "It's just that...this night has had a few...unpleasantries."

"Unpleasantries?" I asked sarcastically, "Is that even a word?"

"No idea," she admitted.

"Hey," I said again, putting my arm around her shoulder, "It'll be okay.  At least we can avoid Lark this way!"

She stared at me.

"Too soon?" I asked nervously.

"A little, yeah."

I took my arm from around her shoulders and stood up.  She looked a little hurt.  Until I reached for her hand, and said:

"Would you care to dance Mademoiselle?" in a really phony British accent.  (I can do a better one, but I was going for laughs, not style).

She smiled.  "With no music?  And in a room that looks like the ground has no friction?  Sounds dangerous."

"I'm a dangerous guy."

"That, I can believe."

We spun onto the dance floor once again.  I twirled her around the room.  The only light source were the tall windows that cast moonlight, which reflected off of the floor.  They made Penny's eyes shine like stars.

We didn't say anything.  We didn't have to.  We knew what we were thinking without saying anything.  I gave her a spin and she laughed a magical laugh.  She was gorgeous in her red dress and crown.  More beautiful than a princess.  I wanted to kiss her so badly.

Eventually we just simultaneously stopped dancing.  We stood there with our arms around each other, not saying a word.  If we kept this up, it would get awkward.  But it didn't.  We just stayed put and gazed into the other's eyes.

I leaned in.  At first, her eyes widened, but she didn't object.  We were so close.  I wanted to close the gap between us.  She pulled a hand from around my shoulders and placed it on my face.  She caressed my jaw and I started to lean in even more.  Then she shifted her hand, so that one finger was on my lips like she was shushing me.

"Nu uh uh!" she teased, "A kiss on the lips must be earned."

"Awww," I complained, "how long are you going to hold this over my head?"

"Until you do something worth kissing you for."

"What, my four PHDs aren't enough?  How about my extreme handsomeness?"

She giggled.  "Not quite.  Try again."

"Hm, what if I made you a necklace.  Wait a minute.  I already did that!"

"Try again!"

"Are you looking for something specific?"

"Not necessarily."

"How about if I take you dancing again?"

"I wouldn't object."

I spun her around again, but she slipped.  Her silk slippers were too slick for the floor.  I caught her just in time, but unfortunately, gravity was not on my side today.  I fell down with her and we ended up with me on top of her on the floor. 

Penny POV:

His lips touched my cheek.  EEEEEKE!!!  I know I shouldn't be that excited, but still.  I really liked it when he kissed me, even though I didn't like to admit it.  We fell onto the floor (stupid slippers) and he fell on top of me, his lips brushing my cheek!

Now we were just laying there, him on top of me, his arms holding himself just off of my body.  Then he smiled slyly.

"Remind you of somewhere?" he asked.

I smiled, getting it.  "Spain," I answered simply.

"Exactly."

I don't think either of us knew what to do after that, so he just go up, and then helped me.  I blushed as I took his hand.  I really needed to stop doing that.

"So," he said, spinning me around again, "how do I earn a kiss?"

I smiled.  There weren't many things that he could do to earn a kiss.  Join HQ was one of them.  That would never happen.

"I don't know..." I said, even though I had a list in my room at home.

"Hey," he said, changing the subject, "let's play a game!"

"What game?" I asked, curious.

"We take turns asking each other questions, and we have to answer honestly."

"I don't know..." I said again.  "If you ask me about certain things..."

"We're not allowed to ask questions about missions, evil plans, etc.  You can draw the line whenever you want.  But when it comes to personal stuff, and you draw the line, I get a kiss.  It doesn't have to be on the lips."

My eyes widened with caution.  "Okaaay...." I said reluctantly.

He grinned like a madman and sat me down on a couch looking thingy.  We started to play.  I regretted it instantly.