The Ball-Part Two: Makeovers!

Penny's POV:

Dove led me up the stairs, and I just let her lead me.  She was practically dragging me.  Now that we were away from the crowd (specifically Talon), I could just cry without worrying that someone would judge.

"Don't worry Penny, It's not you," said Dove, "Lark is a pig to everyone."

"You guys are twins?!" I sobbed.

"You wouldn't think it at first sight, would you?"

I sobbed some more.

"We used to share a room, actually.  By the time I was old enough to realize that she was bullying me, and not just being 'a responsible older sister,' we got to separate."

I was really turning into a sob monster.

"The only friend I've ever had that dealt with Lark for me, was Talon.  He's used to dealing with people, considering his uncle."

Sob.  Sob.  SOB!

"My talking isn't helping, is it," she said.

I shook my head.  I was to sad to be polite.

"Don't worry," she said, leading me to a really fancy door, "we'll have you fixed up in no time."

I gave her a weak smile, and she led me into her room.  I gasped and choked on my tears.  It was incredible!  If by incredible you mean huge!  I had expected, based on the rest of the house, for the room to be all pink or gold, like a princess's.  But hers had a rather Native American look to it.  It was a warm brown with lots of wood paneling.  There were murals all over one wall, the only one with a window.  The lights were dim, and portrayed a rather smoky feel, as if I were in the woods at night.  The ceiling was a beautiful purplish blue, with silver constellations painted all over it.  There were dream catchers and animal furs everywhere, and a big teepee in the corner.  Plants sprouted all over the place and fish swam in a tank embedded in the wall.  The floor was covered with a fuzzy tan rug, and there was only one picture on the wall.  The bedposts were made of just regular birch tree branches.

It felt like the  perfect room for Dove. 

I wiped away my tears, thinking about how beautiful this all was.  She pulled me into her bathroom, which was much different from her bedroom.  Although it was still decorated with Native American accents, it was much more modern.  She had a freaking Jacuzzi for a bathtub. 

There was another door through the bathroom that led to an enormous walk in closet!  It wasn't at all like her bedroom or bathroom.  It was a soft lavender, covered with cushions and shelves, holding every kind of clothes you could imagine.  I didn't have much time to admire it though, because she pulled me over to a rack of ball gowns.  

"Alright," she said, taking a cream colored dress, "Let's find you a dress!"

I tried on about a dozen dresses, ranging from a bright turquois, to a sunset pink.  Some were outrageously poofy, and some so tight that they felt like they were going to split.

Until at last she had me try on a red one.  It was a simple cut, and came down to the floor.  It had layers or shear hanging from the belt.  The belt was studded with diamonds, real ones by the looks of it.  The top hung off of one shoulder, and was decorated with swirling patterns of diamonds, that slid down my chest. 

I stared at myself in the mirror

I stared at myself in the mirror.  I looked gorgeous.  It was almost scary how expensive this dress looked.  I had never even felt something so fancy! 

"It's actually a Chinese wedding dress," Dove said, "but I think it works for other things too."

"It's beautiful," I whispered.

"Yes it is," she said, "but you want to know what's even more beautiful?"

"What?"

"You."

I smiled, as she walked back into the bathroom and I followed.

"Alright," she said, sitting me down on the edge of her jacuzzi, "time for makeup and accessories!"

I tried to keep still as she did my makeup (perfectly, if I might add), and closed my eyes as she picked accessories and put them on me.  She even put shoes on me.  When she finally let me look in the mirror, I gasped.  She had pinned a bit of my hair back in a rather elegant way, and had put a red crown, bedecked with diamonds, in it.  She had placed the necklace that Talon gave me around my neck.  I was wearing soft red slippers with ribbons that tied around my legs.

I stared at myself in the mirror, unable to look away.  My hair, that I had always found a rather ugly yellow, looked like gold, and my eyes that were just a plain blue, became an afternoon sky.

"Ready to go?" Dove asked.

"Yeah," I whispered back, and she had to pull me away from the mirror.

Talon POV:

I looked around the ballroom.  I came here way too often.  It was always for Dove's benefit.  I absolutely hated coming.  I had to sit out of every dance (Dove and Lark were the only people who were his age) and the refreshments were always too fancy. 

But this time, I had hoped to make this Christmas Eve special.  Penny was with me and it was going to be the best night ever.  But then there was Lark, and her drink, and then Penny left with Dove... Yeah.  Where were they?

Then I looked up at the balcony and saw that Dove and Penny were making their way down the stairs.  Whoa.  Penny was gorgeous.  She wore a long red dress that was decorated with swirling patterns of diamonds.  Her golden hair danced around her shoulders as she walked down the stairs.

When the two girls reached me, I nearly fainted.  There were no words to describe the angel before me.  No words at all.

"Would you-would," I stumbled over my words, "Would you like to dance?" I asked, with my hand stretched out.

Penny smiled.  "Of course!" she said simply.  And we flew onto the dance floor as graceful as a pair of swans.