too ♡

“I love you.” He held her hand across the center console of his car as he drove them home from one of their weeknight dinners.

She pulled his hand to her lips. “I love you.” She laid a light trail of kisses over his palm and wrist as the next song on the radio played, too beautiful for anything except her silence and the feel of his hand in hers.

I just think about my baby;
I'm so full of love I can barely eat.
There's nothing sweeter than my baby;
I never want once from the cherry tree,
'Cause my baby's sweet as can be,
She gimme toothaches just from kissin' me.

At the end of the song, they were at a red light. “I have a weird question.”

She stroked the back of his hand with her thumb. “Hmm?” He had broken her Hozier-induced reverie.

“I have a weird question,” he repeated. “When I tell you I love you, you never tell me you love me, too.”

“I always tell you I love you,” she countered, turning her head to give him an alarmed look as the light turned green. “Oh my God! How could you think that I don't - “

“I know that you love me,” he soothed. “But when I say 'I love you,' you never respond with 'I love you, too.' You just say 'I love you.' Why do you do that?”

She pressed another kiss to his soft skin. “It's weird. All my life, I've always told people that I love them first. I tend to do my loving a little harder and more openly than most, and I guess that just reflects it.”

He nodded, wishing he had saved this conversation for when he could see her eyes.

“So, I always kinda felt like people said 'Love you too!' after I told them I loved them because they felt like they had to or else they'd hurt my feelings. In my heart at least, saying 'I love you, too,' is the equivalent of saying 'yes' if you ask me if I want a doughnut.”

He chuckled. He'd been here and felt this before. It was oddly comforting to hear that she had thought and felt the same things.

“And I don't want telling you I love you to feel like an answer to something or an obligation. I don't want to just say 'Love you too!' because that's the standard response when a person says they love you.” She was starting to get emotional and so was he.

“I don't want you to ever have to question whether or not I love you. I don't want to tell you that I love you because I feel obligated to. I want to love you honestly. I want you to know that when I tell you that I love you, even if you say it first, I'm not saying it because I feel like I should.” She was crying now, and he was very thankful that they were near her house. “I love you. Not because I feel like I have to. Not because I feel like telling you I love you simply the most polite thing to do.”

“Babe,” he breathed. “I love you. I love you so much.”

He had never been so thankful to park his car as he was then. She was in his lap with her back against the steering wheel before he knew what was happening. He held her face in his long hands, gazing into her teary eyes. The expression he found there was so passionate and intimate and tender that he got emotional himself.

She wrapped herself around him, brushing her lips against his sweetly. “I love you.” She whispered it over and over again as they kissed soft and slow and somehow managed to fog up the windows of the car.

“I love you,” he murmured against her lips, letting his thumbs trail along her jaw and make her feel soft and cherished. “I love you endlessly and entirely.”

“I love you.”

Author's Note:
I haven't loved a oneshot as much as this one in a really long time! I hope you loved it as much as I do! Vote and share and stuff if you want and tell someone you love them today! Love you!! ♡