sixteen

"Your heart is like a guillotine
It severely cut me out but
Like an ogre, I secretly got to you"

————————

"You're dating Kim Taehyung?!" Sooyoung and Yeri asked in unison as they lean their heads toward me across the small table. Sooyoung, Yeri and Sungjae were all surprised when I told them about Taehyung and I, but for Byunghun, he didn't seem really surprised after all.

Today's Friday. Classes were done, and Taehyung didn't attend any of the classes today. Teachers and classmates (especially girls) were asking me why was Taehyung absent today, but I always answered them by saying 'I don't know'. Which is true, I have no idea where he is—maybe he's with his friends right now, but I still wasn't sure if I was right. Whenever someone would ask me about Taehyung—like where he is, what does he like, where did he live or any questions related to him, I suddenly wished they never ask instead. It made me feel useless all of a sudden. It made me ask myself if am I really his girlfriend? We've been dating for almost two weeks now, and we still haven't exchange phone numbers. What kind of dating relationship is this?

"Yeah, like they're too obvious already!" Byunghun said, drinking his soju from his shot glass in one go. We went out to a tteokbokki stand after class dissmisal, and Sungjae offered that he would treat us all.

"Wow! I'm really happy for you, Areum!" Yeri said clapping her hands as she chewed on her food.

"You two will be the cutest, most perfect couple ever!" Sooyoung said dreamily.

"What about us? Aren't we the cutest?" Sungjae butted in, eyeing Sooyoung.

"No, we're not a cute couple because you're ugly!" She said, teasing the boy. Sungjae pouted his lips, trying to be cute while those three kept laughing.  Sooyoung pretended to puke as Sungjae tried to be cute. Slowly, staring at those two lovebirds, I was smiling already. They looked perfect as if they weren't even trying hard to look good as a couple. They're just naturally good together. But with me and Taehyung, why does everything felt force?

After a split second, everyone kept laughing except for Sungjae who stood up and retrieved his phone from his pocket. He answered a phone call which made each of us looked at him. His attention shifted to me as he listened to the person over the phone. "It's your mom," He said, whispering as he handed me his phone.

I furrowed my brows, wondering why did she call Sungjae. "Hello, mom?"

"Areum! Where are you? I've been trying to call you, but you weren't answering your phone!" She said loud enough for me to hear it clearer. "Your Taehyung is waiting for you here at home. He said you two will go to a party. Why aren't you home yet?"

I gasped, biting my lip as soon as mom mentioned Taehyung's name. "My phone died, that's why I couldn't answer your calls. I'm sorry, mom. Tell him to wait a little bit more. I'm on my way." I said, standing up from my seat and picking up my bag. I gave Sungjae his phone, and told them I have to leave already. They all gave me quick embrace before I could leave.

As soon as the cab stopped in front of the the gates of our house, I immediately gave the driver my payment, and went out the vehicle. I hurriedly run inside the house as I kept calling mom. I stopped when I saw Taehyung comfortably sitting on a couch. "H-Hi. . ." I said awkwardly waving my hand. "I'm sorry. . . Have you been waiting here?" I asked him. Taehyung was about to answer when mom stood in the kitchen's doorway.