twenty-three

"Will you stay by my side?
Will you promise me?"

————————

That Sunday evening, around 7 P.M., my mom and I were already on our way to his boss's house to have dinner like what she told me yesterday. My mom kept checking her out in the rearview mirror as she drove. She kept twirling the bottom part of her shoulder-length bob hair into big curls then kept adjusting her pearl necklace.

Mom was wearing a long-sleeved aqua dress that really suited her fair skin and complimented her figure. She used to wear this kind of dresses before whenever dad and her would go to a fancy restaurant to have dinner during their anniversaries and special occasions like her birthday, and I couldn't help but to miss the old days. Mom, dad and me. Together.

"You already look good, mom. Stop checking yourself too much, and focus on driving." I told her, sighing as I looked out of the window. I felt a slap at the back of my head and immediately turned to her to give her an annoyed look, "What was that for?" I said, caressing the part where she hit me.

"Stop being so rude, young lady!" She said after adjusting back the rearview mirror to its original position then put her both hands back to the steering wheel. "I'm just really nervous," She glanced at me quickly, "You should have dressed yourself better. You looked too dull."

"Huh?" I stared down to what I was wearing. There's nothing wrong with what I'm wearing. I was wearing a pink semi-formal dress that falls just above my knees, and tied my hair in a high messy bun. "I don't need to dressed too much, mom. It's just dinner."

"It's not just a dinner, baby. . ."

"It's a dinner with your boss. I know, I get it." I looked at her and placed my hand on her shoulder. She swiftly glanced at me as she felt my hand on her shoulder. "And don't be too nervous, mom. He'll love you. Even if you don't wear fancy dresses." I said, and then she gave me that thank you smile of hers.

After five seconds of silence, mom spoke again. "Oh, I almost forgot!" She snapped. "We should buy something, right? It wouldn't be thoughtful if we didn't bring anything." She tapped her fingers against the steering wheel as she thought, "What should we buy?"

"A bottle of wine will be good." I said, closing my eyes as I lean my head to the window.

I felt the car turned to another route, making my head thump against the window. I just got ignored it and remained my eyes shut throughout the ride. Minutes later, we arrived at the supermarket. Mom even dragged me inside the supermarket. People were staring at us, so I remained my head low. Like duh? Mom and I looked like we have a meeting to attend to because of our dresses. It's driving me crazy. She immediately went to the wine section while I departed from her, telling her I just need to grab some sweets to boost my energy.

As I was walking carefully, passing by different aisles of goods and reached the chocolate section, I saw familiar faces from my peripheral vision. I stopped my mark and took a step back to peek at the previous aisle to take another look. I bit my lower lip in surprise to see Taehyung and Solji together. Just the two of them. Smiling, laughing and talking. They were both only wearing casual clothes. Taehyung was only wearing an oversized white shirt, a pair of shorts that falls above his knees and a flip-flops while Solji was wearing a gray tank top that showed off her cleavage and complimented her body figure, a black sweatpants and a flip-flops as well. She was also pretty in sweatpants! Like come on, girl. Do you even have time to be ugly at all? I sighed at that thought, then stared at them more. They just looked so good together. They were comfortable around each other. Taehyung smiled so brightly with her. A smile that I wish he would do when he was with me. I wish I was comfortable around Taehyung too, but it never happened. I'll forever be just called as Taehyung's awkward ex-girlfriend. (If he ever thought of me as one.)

Once I realized I've been staring for too long, I immediately grabbed a handful of chocolate packs and walked towards the wine section to meet mom. She was already in line to the cashier when I saw her, so I handed her the chocolates and left the supermarket to go back to the parking lot. I felt my heart clenched, knowing that Taehyung wasn't even affected by our break-up that he could even smile with her. I stopped my mark when I reached for the car in the parking lot. I pressed my palms against the hood the of the car. He could at least pretend he was devastated about it, but he didn't. . . I wanted to get mad at him, but it was no use. Seeing him smile so brightly like that felt like a fulfillment of some sort. It somehow made feel at ease, but it still hurts because he was smiling because of her and not me.

When I saw mom coming already, I composed myself like I didn't struggle from any of my emotional issues just a while ago and we both got inside the car. We rode the car towards his boss's house for almost twenty minutes from the supermarket, and as soon as we reached her boss's house, mom parked the car in front of the gates and we climbed off. I let my eyes roamed around the exterior of his house. The house wasn't as grand as I expected it to be, but obviously, his house was bigger than ours, but it has the same feel. Mom slowly pressed the doorbell and waited for someone to come get us.

It took us at least ten seconds before someone came to fetch us. It was their maid. She lead the way towards the entrance of the house and told us to wait for him in the living room. But my mom insisted in helping the maids prepare for dinner, so she helped them and I just sat alone in the living room.

I scanned the whole area to look for something that would interest me. As soon as I saw that tall table, I stood up and walked forward to checked it out. It was a tall table filled with different portraits on top of it. From his grandparents, parents, siblings and friends to his niece and nephews, I think, there were portraits dedicated for them. And what made me drawn into it further was when I saw a familiar face in the middle of the portraits. It was a portrait of an old friend where he was by the ocean. He wearing a white shirt as he looked at the camera over his shoulder as he purred his lips and did a V-sign with his fingers.

My forehead scrunched up for a second before I slowly lifted the portrait to have a closer look. I know him, I thought. I gulped this lump on my throat as I try to remember the boy's name. "Jung. . . kook. . ." I mumbled under my breath as I tried to memorize his features in my head. Jungkook. The boy I shared my first kiss with.

-----------

it wasn't my greatest shot, but let me just share that moment with you

it wasn't my greatest shot, but let me just share that moment with you. it was that moment (when they all bowed down) that made me cry. it was my first time to attend a concert and it didn't disappoint me. Bangtan didn't disappoint. Ever. I may not have hold their hand or looked at them in they eyes directly unlike other lucky fans, but i'm happy i got the chance to see them sing and dance live. i'm just so happy that i will surely go again to their concert if i'll be given a chance and if that happens, i'll be close enough to see them up close. never give up on your dreams, kids. lol. sorry if the pic was too dark tho.

anyways, thank you for keep on reading this book. it infires me to update more. haha.