forty-one

"Don't think of anything
Don't say anything, not even a word
Just give me a smile"

————————

Sitting on the park bench, I held my phone tightly as I waited for Taehyung to come. Waiting patiently, I looked around the park and the playground. I lifted up my phone and used it as a mirror to check myself after. Looking at my reflection, I fixed my naturally wavy hair since I didn't iron it or blowdried it at all. I tried looking simple today as I wore a simple pastel-colored floral long-sleeved dress that falls just two-inches above my knees and paired it with my plain white Keds.

A few minutes after of staring at the ground, a pair of legs wearing a black wide pants and a feet wearing black sandals stood in front of me. My eyes then shifted from the ground to the person in front of me. I slowly lifted my head; my eyes following the person's legs up to its face until I finally saw Taehyung's smiling face. "Taehyung."

"Am I late?" He asked, sitting next to me. He created a few inches of distance between us.

"No, I'm just a bit early." I replied. "Anyway, why did you want to meet here in the park? What do you want to do?"

"I was thinking of riding bikes again like the last time. Are you up for it?" He asked, trying to be bubbly but looking at him closely, I could still see his agony. Then, I glanced at his hair, seeing he was wearing a black hairband this time to keep his brown fringe out of his face. "You don't want to?" He snapped.

"Uhm," I cleared my throat. "Not really sure. The last time we rode bikes, well. . . you left me." I told him, laughing it off.

He bit his lower lip, "Yeah, sorry about that but today, I won't leave you this time. I promise." The seriousness in his voice echoed in my ears, almost making the butterflies in my stomach flew around inside me. He then reached out his hand towards mine and smiled, "Let's go?"

I smiled seeing him smile a little, "Okay," I said, then reached for his hand to hold it. He held my hand tight once I held him before we both stood up and walked towards the bike rentals.

Once we rented our own bikes, Taehyung helped me hopped on my own bike and put on my helmet before he did his own. We started cycling side by side, and just like Taehyung promised, he never left my side. We cycled quietly that neither one of us was to talking. I glanced at Taehyung cycling next to me who seemed to be deep in thought, so I didn't bother talking to him at all. We let the cold breeze of air touched our faces and let our hair flew along with the wind. A few minutes after we got tired, we stopped and parked our rented bikes under the shade of the huge oak tree located within the park.

I then laid down on the grass, staring the at blue clear sky filled with puffy clouds. I lifted up my hand, blocking the ray of sunlight directly at my face when suddenly a silhouette of a boy looked down and blocked the sunlight for me. I smiled to myself as I already have an idea of who the boy was. Carefully, I sat up and looked at him. He welcomed me with a smile as he reached his hand for me, giving me a vanilla-flavored ice cream cone. "Vanilla. Your favorite," He said before sitting next to me. He was so close to me that I could feel his upper arm brushing against my shoulder. I saw him licked his own chocolate-flavored ice cream cone as he stared the surroundings.

As for me, I ended up staring at him, thinking of what it would be like if I give Taehyung another chance. Will I be happy? Will I still feel the same? Or will I still feel the insecurity creeping up on me every time I'd look at him and Solji? He probably noticed me staring at him when he looked at me this time with such beautiful eyes, saying words I could barely understand. "Areum," He called my name, snapping me back.