Moving...

July 14, 1974

Janet's P.O.V

Everybody has dreams. Dreams of where they wanna go, what they wanna see, what type of life they wanna have...and, according to my mama, who they wanna spend that life with. She told me this not about two months ago, when I hit the double digits and turned 10. She said my body and my mind would now be going through changes I wouldn't be fully able to understand just yet, but when it happened, she wanted me to be ready.

I didn't know exactly what she meant, I still don't because... I know I have dreams..but dreams about...boys? I don't think so. The only dream I can think of is just doing whatever I  wanna do. If there will be somebody to come along on that journey with me, well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

My name is Janet Jackson. I'm born and raised in Gary, Indiana with my 8 brothers and sisters and as you could probably tell, I'm the baby. It may not seem like anything happens in our quaint little town, but trust me it does. So much so, that I try to be around my siblings as much ax possible.

It freaks my mother Katherine out all the time how violent the crime gets here. But she's the  sweetest person you'd ever want to meet, other than my brother Mike, but I'll get to him later. She does whatever she can to keep us together, including instilling in us a love for music. Actually now that I think about it, music just might be what my dream is. But who knows for sure yet.

My father Joseph..he's another story. He works day in and day out and when he is home...he tortures my brothers and frightens me and my sisters. Sometimes I just really wanna get out of Gary sometimes, but I know that'll never happen anytime soon.

I was playing out in the front yard by myself. My brother Randy was playing with me but he went inside to make a phone call. He and I had a love/hate relationship. We would fight, like literally fight all the time, but then everywhere I went, he would make it is his business to tag along. So here I was, doing what I almost always do. Swinging on our homemade swing set, thinking about how it would be in another place.

Suddenly a car pulled up in the front yard. It was a bright blue Porschewhich only meant one thing; my big brother Mike was home. Sure enough, he emerged from the car, spinning his keys on his finger. He looked up and smiled. "Hey Dunk!!" He yelled.

I ran into his arms and hugged him as tightly as I could

I ran into his arms and hugged him as tightly as I could. He had been working a lot lately, so I didn't see as much of him as I would want to, seeing as how he's my favorite big brother. "How you doing?" He asked, putting me down. "I'm good," I looked at his car and smiled. "Can we go for a ride Mike?" He laughed and nodded. "Okay, let's go."

                            ...

There was nothing more that I loved them going for rides with Mike. Every time he came home, he offered me a ride. We always went to different places. Today we went to meadow that separated Gary from Indianapolis and just sat there in peace, enjoying the breeze. I suddenly decided to ask Mike something.

"Mike?" "Yeah Dunk?" "Mother told me on my birthday that even though everybody has dreams, at some point, everybody eventually thinks about finding that other person they want to come along with them on their journey, do you have any idea what that could mean?"

He leaned forward and turned his head to me. "She told us all the same thing when we hit double digits. It basically means Dunk, that no matter how hard you may try to fight it, everybody is gonna want somebody else to call their own. And at some point, you'll find it, some may find it quicker than others, but we all find it. Mother just wants you to be ready when it happens..."

I nodded. "Have you found yours?" I asked and he chuckled. "No not yet but I'm only 17, I got my whole life ahead of me, I'll get there and so will you lil sis, trust me..."

                             ...

Michael pulled into the driveway of our small house. To this day, I still wonder how Mama managed to raise all 9 of us in here. We walked in to find the rest of our brothers moving stuff around and LaToya at the table crying.

Mike ran over to LaToya and picked her up. "Toys, come here, what's wrong?" He asked as she cried in his chest. She muttered something that was muffled by Michaels shirt. "What?" We both asked. "WE'RE MOVING!!!" She screamed, slumping into her chair. Mother suddenly came out, along with Joseph.

"Bitch shut the fuck up with all that goddamn crying!" Joseph screamed, causing Toya to faint. Michael caught her and carried her into the living room. "Now, as you all now should know, we're moving from Gary because now that most of you are practically grown and this house is just way too small for all of us." Joseph spoke.

"I've gotten a promotion and it's for more money we've seen ever. So we're moving." "To where?" I asked, slightly tearing up. "Compton, California and we're leaving tonight." He replied. My heart broke, not only because we were actually leaving Gary, but also because I had heard so many stories about Compton. So many horrifying stories. There wasn't any way I wanted to go there.

I suddenly bolted from the couch and ran to my room. Tears flooded my cheeks as I smooched my face all around in my pillow. I can't believe Joseph was making us move there, of all places!! What was I ever gonna find in Compton?

1st chapter you guys!! Hope you like it!! Like/comment!! More to come!!!