39

"do you think something went wrong with the bus? or-or i don't know, why is it taking-"

"dan, calm down baby they'll be here soon," phil pushed his arm around dan's waist, pulling him closer to his side and dan only rested his head against phil's shoulder, letting out a small yawn in the process.

"you tired?" phil nudged him slightly and the younger man nodded lazily against his shoulder, attempting to nuzzle his face further into phil's neck as discretely as possible.

"why did we have to adopt a child, it's too much work," dan complained, reaching forth and grabbing phil's warm hand in between his cold one, sighing out of relief when the warmth spread out on his palm.

"you love it though, don't you?" phil nudged him with a little giggle, causing the brown haired boy to groan and nod hesitantly in agreement.

"why do i love him so much, it's not even fair," he slumped further into phil's side, looking around to see if any other people in their mid-forties were judging them. when he found no one looking, he placed a soft kiss against phil's cheek, locking their fingers and resting both their hands on his stomach, his thumb rubbing gentle circles on the back of phil's pale hand.

"and i can't even spend time with him now that he's back, i'm so busy, i've got a meeting to attend today and i have to pack-"

"you have to pack?" phil interrupted, his voice quiet and dan only looked up at him in slight confusion.

"tomorrow is my trip, i told you didn't i?" dan pondered out loud, and phil's lips formed an 'o' shape in realisation, nodding when he remembered.

"oh yeah, i'm gonna miss you," phil pouted slightly, causing dan to smile, a strange warmth pooling in his cheeks, dimples popping.

"ah, you're being so cute i really want to kiss you," it was phil's turn to blush now, as he turned his head and buried his nose in dan's hair to hide his smile.

"shut up,"

they stood in comfortable silence, leaning against the stone wall behind them, and phil could almost feel the coolness of the stones seeping through his thick jumper.

"wow it's actually really cold," phil commented after a while and dan just rolled his eyes mockingly.

"oh i thought me literally trying to cuddle the hell out of you in public would be enough proof," dan muttered slightly annoyed that the bus still hadn't pulled up and was approximately twenty minutes late.

"i have a jacket in my car if you want?" phil offered, running his hands along dan's spine as if it would warm him up, and maybe the gesture didn't but the feeling of phil doing that made dan want to melt into phil's chocolate brown jumper.

"yes please," he sighed, and phil just ruffled his hair fondly, watching as a few parents started to wrap their arms around their bodies to shield them from the cold, their feet impatiently tapping on the ground.

it was slightly strange for them to be this calm.

they haven't exactly been normal for the past few months, never saying what's actually on their minds and being unnecessarily formal and uncomfortable around each other. this was like the long awaited winter break they finally received. this strange way of teenager-like flirting and displaying their affection in front of other people.

phil may be slightly insecure about what people were thinking of two males leaning against a school wall and talking to each other quietly, with one of them occasionally blushing-they looked like they were in the first week of dating each other.

but maybe they actually were back to square one, where they needed to have dinner outside at least twice in fourteen days and where phil needed to call dan at work and tell him sweet things. maybe they needed to be reluctant about taking things too far in bed and maybe they needed to think about what they're going to talk about next.

and maybe it's alright.

maybe building up their relationship from the scratch is alright for either of them, because right now as dan steals another kiss against phil's cheek and phil coughs to hide the roses blossoming on his cheeks-they are both happy.

there is no doubt in their minds. dan doesn't think whether phil is mad at him for something and phil doesn't have to find anything to be mad at dan.

they're two men in their mid-twenties waiting for their child to return from a trip, and even when they're surrounded by so many older and more experienced people, who probably have a better married life than them and have their shit together-they are the only ones who seem to be smiling.

--
i picture adrian as this but u can choose whoever u like

--i picture adrian as this but u can choose whoever u like