epilogue : part 2

a/n - i got a lot of comments saying "three years??? what???" and i don't blame you i felt the same way but if we look at the development of characters-phil is recovering from an alcohol addiction (& a broken heart but we don't talk about that shush), adrian is getting over his parents' break after already losing his former parents to a 'break' and dan is still trying to forgive himself-there's a lot of work that's gone into each of their personal recovery so i feel like three years is reasonable! sorry if u don't feel the same :/

also since most of this book has been unfrequent updates - enjoy this 3rd update in a day. you're welcome :)

+

dan's eyes wander around the busy pavement, watching as a woman passes him with a conjoined stroller with two babies, both wearing blue onesies and one of them having a bow on their head. he smiles at them, and then at the mother, and the woman who can't be any older than twenty five returns his smile, finally walking past him. he sighs happily, clutching the straps of the backpack and pulling his sleeves over his fists-it's a habit he hasn't gotten rid of.

london's march air is forgiving, chilly enough for a sweater and warm enough to ditch a jacket, and the sun shines unabashed atop his head, painting a few strands of his curly hair in golden light. there are barely five minutes left to see phil, the wait almost seems longer than the three years he has spent fixing both himself and their relationship. he can feel the steady beat of his heart going haywire, he can feel the oxygen supply becoming bare, he can feel the shakiness of his hands and the heat in his cheeks-he's been anticipating this for so long.

his phone buzzes lightly in his pocket and he pulls out the device, trying to control the blush that marks his cheeks almost instantly.

philhowlter : where are you?

the app had found it's way back onto their phones only two weeks ago, when adrian had spent a considerable amount of time convincing both of them to have the signature 'howlter' next to their names for no apparent reason other than the entertainment of watching his fathers cringe.

danhowlter : almost there

he bit his lip before adding onto his text.

danhowlter : i'm nervous to see you

philhowlter : don't be, it's only me

danhowlter : yeah but it's been a while

philhowlter : it's fine i won't bite

philhowlter : unless it's consensual ;)

dan didn't think it was possible to add any more colour to his cheeks but phil has proved him wrong yet again. now he's standing in the middle of a pavement with his cheeks stained red and an embarrassed grin on his face.

danhowlter : shut up you spork

three minutes later he is pushing the doors open to starbucks, conventionally the most inappropriate place to see your husband again after years but phil had insisted on getting coffee first and dan was really in no position to contradict anything the man said. he walked further into the busy shop, trying to spot phil's dark fringe somewhere along the mass of people but having no such luck. fortunately enough, after a solid minute of confusion, there were cold fingers grabbing his hand and phil's unmistakable voice snapping him out of his search.