{47} Troubling Thoughts

Mark's POV
~
Jack pulls out his phone as fast as humanly possible. Not even bothering to glance at the number, he accepts the call and holds the device up to his slightly pointed ears.

Quickly muttering something into his phone, he stands up and signals to me that he will be right back. I sigh.

More waiting.

Still teary eyed, I look down at my bloody hands. (Y/n)'s blood.

My mind replays the scene for about the fifteenth time since it happened.

•••
(Flashback)

Gunshot.

"JACK!" I nearly trip down upcoming the stairs, as I turn a little too sharply around the corner.

That feeling. Just like in the restaurant.

Time moves in slow motion, my brain desperate to know what happened. Shaky breaths, heartbeats, and movements drown out all other sounds.

All I see is Jack splayed on the cement floor, obviously in some form of pain; a man with his back turned to me, holding a gun in his outstretched arm; and then (Y/n).
•••

The ride to the hospital had been a blur of tears and pure fear.

Now, I can only just keep thinking; if I had been a little faster, (Y/n) wouldn't be back here. We wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be here- waiting for a hope, that may never arise.

Jack had been gone for a little while now. I need him back, sitting with me. Just to hold each other together, so the pain can't tear us apart.

I shuffle my feet impatiently, the feeling of unease finally settling in. The too familiar, too white walls that greeted me whenever I look up, is a constant reminder of all the time I have spent in places like this. Laying in a hospital bed for weeks on end.

The main entrance to the lobby suddenly opens. I quickly turn my head, glad to see Jack hurrying towards me.

He begins to speak. "Mark-"

A feminine voice interrupts Jack's; "Sirs?" We both turn our attention to a nurse, who had just emerged from the operation unit of the massive hospital. "I presume you two are waiting on the young lady that just came in here a few hours ago?"

It had been that short of a time? To me, it felt like years had gone by, just sitting here.

Jack approaches her. "What's going on? Is it bad? Will she live?! Tell us something!" He starts to scream, reaching for the collar of the woman's shirt.

I reach up to stop him just in time. Still covered in blood and filled with rage, Jack seemed completely out of control to a bystander. I stand next to him, a firm hand placed on his shoulder to hold him back.

As she warily continues to deliver the news to us, I can see Jack's kind heart crack as his ocean eyes glaze over. "I'm afraid this isn't good news..."

~
I'm so sorry I didn't update this weekend; it completely slipped my mind. I'm really sorry. As for the story, as usual I hope you're enjoying so far. Bye for now! <3