{56} Argument

Jack's POV
~
"Yeah, I know you never got to meet her, but-- okay. Yeah, I understand. Sorry. If you could just bring over two pairs of pants and two shirts, that would be a blessing."

I could only make out the conversation by what Mark was saying. It seemed like he wanted Matthias to get us spare clothes, so we could be clean and not have to leave (Y/n). I trusted Matthias from the few times I had met him in person. He was a genuine guy, and I knew he would be more than willing to help Mark.

"Just use the spare key to our apartment that I gave you. Yup; upstairs, second door on the right. Thank you so, so much. You're the best. See you in a few; bye."

Mark ended the call and put his phone back in his pocket. He closed his eyes for a moment and breathed deeply, composing himself before looking at me. I was hugging myself at that point, shaking a little in fear of what I knew was happening to (Y/n). Everything was so perfect, why did these terrible things always happen to her?

"Jack?" Mark asked, his face full of concern.

"I'm o-okay," I answered, breaking from his gaze and looking down at the floor. I felt his arms wrap around me for the hundredth time that day, but this time it didn't seem to help much.

"The nurse said there's a chance--"

I pushed him off me. "Are you kidding me?! Did you even hear what he said? There's no hope left. She's not going to make it. So don't even try to convince me it will be fine; 'cause it won't!" I practically spat my words at him, my anger taking control of me. "You're just pretending for my sake. You know as well as I do that she's barely hanging on. Why even put on an act with this senseless sappy stuff when our best friend-our girlfriend- is on her fucking deathbed?! We both know she's going to die so why even bother?!" I gasped and covered my mouth, knowing I took it a step too far. "Mark, I-I'm sorry; I didn't mean--"

"It's okay Jack," Mark said looking down at me. "We're both just in bit of a shock right now. Let's just try not to fight too much, okay?" I nodded, apologizing one more time before giving him a quick, tight hug. "Now that that's out of the way, we should probably go wait in the lobby for Matthias."

I felt bad for yelling at Mark, but there was nothing I could do now. "Okay."

We left the room and walked down the hallway through a maze of nurses and stray medical equipment. When we reached the lobby there were only two empty chairs, which were luckily facing the hospital's entrance. We sat down in them and waited. I looked over at Mark and grabbed his hand, rubbing my thumb gently against his forefinger. He smiled weakly at me then returned his attention to the door, watching for Matthias' car.

~
I know I said I was going to upload in a few days, but it's been over two week now. Whoops. Also, sorry for the short chapters; I'll have to work on that. Anyway, thanks for reading and bye for now! <3