{48} Waiting Game

Jack's POV
~
"... Although our surgeons tried their best, the bullet did a lot of damage to her lung. She lost a lot of blood, and I'm afraid she may not live more than a few days. I'm so sorry."

My breathing quickens. "No..." She can't be dying.

My ears drain sound to just a mummer. My hands start to shake and my limbs turn to jelly. My heart seems to pound out of my chest. Everything will be okay; right?

Mark squeezes my shoulder, bringing me back to reality. I look up at him, seeing the tears he's trying to holding back. "Can we see her?" Mark calmly asks. He always said there's no point in screaming, if no one can understand you.

"I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait another hour or so. I suggest you go home and rest, and we can call you when she's out of surgery." The nurse looks at Mark and I with compassion.

He glances down at me for a brief moment. Our eyes meet as he speaks; "I think we'll wait here." I breathe a sigh of relief. I don't think I could stand leaving her in this place alone, and Mark knows it.

The nurse speaks again. "If you're sure-" Mark nods; "Okay, then I will keep you updated. The bathrooms are over there if you want to clean up." She points to a hallway near the lobby's doors.

"Thank you," Mark says. The nurse nods and turns around, walking hastily to another part of the hospital.

Mark reaches over and pulls me close to him. I wrap my arms around his torso, holding him as tightly as possible. I can feels Mark's warm tears on the back of my neck, and hear his wavering breaths.

"What are we going to do now Mark?" I whisper.

He holds me in a way that I can hear his heartbeat. "I don't know Jack. I don't know..."

~
Thanks so much for 13k views! I will try to upload again today. Bye for now! <3