Eighteen • Breakfast

Song: Blind Pig by EMMI

Smiling to Newt, you heard Poppy calling from the cabin. You were saved from continuing this terribly awkward conversation.

"Sis? Newt!" Poppy yelled.

Turning to the cabin you heard Newt clear his throat from behind you.

"...I never didn't like you..." You heard Newt say. He sounded so unsure and shy about it.

You hadn't imagined or expected Newt to return your old feelings. Yet now that you were older, you didn't know how long this mutual crush would last. Newt would leave after the field case was over, and there way no way it would work.

Especially after him saying about Tina. An American MACUSA employee. You couldn't tell what had happened in New York completely. The reports and files on the incidents had all been thought as the work of Grindelwald. An infamous dark wizard.

Returning to the cabin with Newt you looked about the shabby looking cabin. A bachelor definitely lived there. The only things that were organized were the many vials and books that lined the room.

"What's for breakfast?" Poppy asked.

"I have some rolled oats?" Newt offered.

"Merlin's pants! Gross!" Poppy said as her face contorted to a look of disgust.

"Poppy! That was rude." You said to the girl.

"I hate oats!" Poppy said, with an angry huff.

"Poppy you either eat the oats or you don't eat anything." You said, to the girl as you crossed your arms at her. You weren't going to let her get away with being not only rude, but completely disrespectful.

"Fine. Thank you, Newt. I would love some oats." Poppy said with a massive pout.

"I'm sorry. If I had anything else that was considered breakfast food I would have offered it." Newt said, a little taken aback.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it. She just enjoys being difficult." You told Newt.

"I see. Well could you make the oats while I finish feeding the creatures? I digressed." Newt said, with a slight smile to you.

"I can make the oats. Go feed your animals." You said, with a small laugh.

"What did I miss? Are you two together yet?" Poppy asked, as she sat down at the work table sat in the middle of the room.

"We aren't together after three days, Poppy." You scolded the girl.

"Well that's not how it works in the books." Poppy said, as if she was an expert.

Moving about the cabin you got a pot, some water and the oats and using magic you cooked enough oats for three hungry people. Once it was done you plated up the food and as you did so, Newt returned from feeding the other case tenants.

Newt walked past you, as he got the jar of brown sugar from one of the cabinets beside your head, he blushed and looked away from you.

"Just kiss again!" Poppy said, with a mouthful of cooked, plain oats.

"I thought you hated oats?" You asked your sister with a knowing grin.

"I do! I'm just hungry." Poppy said, as she collected another heaping spoonful of oats from her bowl.

"Oh yeah?" You said, as Newt walked over and cleared himself a place at the table.

You went and sat at the table as well and ate your breakfast. You couldn't help but admire how proper Newt ate. After you had finished eating you stood and busied yourself with something other than thinking about Newt.

Standing over the sink you cleared your mind. "The phenix cried...when his sweetheart let him go...Cuz his lady loves..
well that's what I've been told..." You hummed to yourself, as you did the few dishes that sat in the sink.

"Yes love, never let the beast astray." Poppy sung back, far too loud.

"As ruffled feathers..." you began to hum back again.

"You have a beautiful singing voice. Just like back at school." Newt said.

Dropping the spoon that you were cleaning with a starting clatter, you had forgot Newt was there for only less than a minute.

"Thanks!" Poppy replied cheerily.

"I meant your sister, but you can sing well too." Newt said with a chuckle.

"Oh. Well she is pretty and talented. She's also single." Poppy said with a conniving giggle.

"Oh yeah?" Newt said, as he played along with the young girls antics.

"Yeah, and she really likes you." Poppy said as she looked over to you.

You had stopped washing the dishes because you just finished them with magic. Poppy looked up to you as if to say 'I told you so'.

Newt looked over to you as well and as his eyes skimmed lazily you felt yourself go beet red.

You wished you knew a spell to make him stop looking a you like that. It just made you feel like you were the only thing he had ever seen, or rather the only thing he really looked at in a long while. His blue eyes just made you insane with every bat of his long eyelashes. He was really the most infuriating man you had ever met.

Please vote and comment on this chapter if you liked it. Thanks♥ Did the music work?