Twenty Three • Jazz

Song: Bad by The Cab

The walk to the bar from the ministry was brisk. The entire walk you just stayed in comfortable silence.
The bar that you arrived at looked more like a run down shack then an establishment. The windows were so cloudy and dirt you could barely see the light from behind it, leaving the street ahead of it dark. Walking towards it you could just smell pub fare. It smelled like any other restaurant from the outside. Once inside you saw many people sat around, all of them of some sort of magical background.

The bar had many small square tables that were set at random intervals around the room. Each of the tables was a different shade of faded hardwood with a fair amount of stains and wear. The bar itself was a long counter that bended along the farthest wall from the entrance. In front of the bar were many tall wooden stools that were occupied by a few of the customers.

The air in the bar felt warm, yet it had the slight after smell of mildew that tingled your nose as you entered the shabby, dark music filled bar.

The aforementioned music came from a small stage tucked into the corner of the large room. On that stage was a white grande piano along with a pianist and two vocalists. The main singer, a young looking man with a buzz cut who spoke eerie drawled out notes into his microphone. The woman beside him wore a long white gown of lace and hung low on her shoulders, exposing sickeningly thin collar bones and shoulders. It looked as though with a good gust of wind and the girl would be blown away.

"Bar or table?" Lake asked, pulling you out of your trance.

"Hm?" You asked slightly confused as you pried your attention away from the small band.

Looking behind you Lake layed eyes on the small stage and nodded in realization.

"They remind me a lot of this one group I saw in New York a few weeks ago. The singer had the most chilling voice. Her music was so catchy I still remember some of it." You said while you walked with Lake over to the bar.

"I remember that you didn't like jazz music all that much at school." Lake said with a shrug.

"You're not wrong. I think that I've just changed a tad. My tastes are a bit different." You said, as you waved to the bartender.

"Really? I hadn't noticed." Lake said with a bit of a laugh as he leaned against the bar counter.

"What can I get for you both?" The bartender asked as he approached.

"Scotch for me. You?" Lake said as he looked from the barren to you.

Both sets of male eyes on you, you froze. "Fire Whiskey?" You suggested after far too long of just looking at the two.

With a nod the bartender turned and left to get the drinks.

"Smooth." Lake said with a laugh.

"Yeah, as smooth as gravel. What's wrong with me." You said as you your head in your hands.

"There's nothing wrong with you. You're probably just getting nervous for another reason." Lake said.

Looking over to the man sat beside you, you remembered why you were friends. He was always the most supportive person, even at the weirdest times. He was also good at getting you to rant on about the things that bothered you but wouldn't bring up with anyone else.

"So who's this Newt guy? What's his story?" Lake asked.

"He's a magizoologist. I've just met him recently. To be completely honest I don't know much about him. All I know is that we went to Hogwarts together, that he was expelled, and that he went to New York and met Tina Goldstein." You said.

"From what I know, Tina only spent two or so days with him." Lake said with a shrug as he looked around the room.

"Only two days!" You spat.

"Yeah? How long have you known him?" Lake asked.

"Well...since school. Six years ago but... I just started talking to him again about a week ago." You said.

"Well in that case, you have the advantage. They probably know nothing about each other." Lake said.

"I'm just worried that Newt would rather be with her is all." You said as your drinks arrived.

"He's not going to leave you for her. Trust me. He's more than lucky to have even gained your attention." Lake said as he downed half of his tall glass of alcohol.

"So what do I do?" You asked him.

"We drink until we're shit-faced drunk. Then we go home. In the mean time just complain about whatever you want." Lake said as he finished his drink.

"Sounds like a plan." You said as you picked up the glass sat in front of you.

"Cheers?" Lake said as he held Hus glass forwards.

"Cheers." You said as you tapped your glass against his. It was going to be a long, yet slightly therapeutic night.

Please vote and comment if you liked this chapter.