Thirty Nine • Survival

Looking to the dragon you snapped out of your thoughts. You couldn't remember of those sorts of things. Survival was an instinct. You couldn't over think. It could get you killed.

"What do you want me to do then?" Were the only words you could muster.

"Go off and find something." The dragon spoke in a tired and unworried tone.

"Find what exactly? I do believe you need to be more specific than that." You retorted.

There was no response for a long period of time where you just stood quietly and tried your best not to think of your arm.

"Specifics are not necessary. Now get out of my sight." The creature growled as he flashed a massive mouth full of razor sharp teeth.

"Fine. I'm going." You spat as you walked off.

There wasn't really much to look at. Plants, mountains, the blue sky overhead and the odd tree. You seemed to have been nestled into a gully on the side of one of the smalled mountains that were part of the steep, treacherous range that spanned over many kilometers.

Working your way down the steep incline was hard, especially with one working arm. You braced against rocks and whatever you could as you made your way down to a steam that flowed down from a high crest on the stone. The water flowed down the mountain in a peaceful flow between rocks and boulders that tried to block it's way. Dipping your hand into the water the freezing shock of the water against your skin was startling.

Bringing yourself down to the water you drank the icy cold water. It was so cold it almost burned your tongue, it even made your head ache.

Feeling a slight nip on your neck as the water gurgled and splashed in front of you. Moving back from the water to realize it was only Pickett. He made a few sounds like he was trying to tell you something and then one of his vine like arms out towards the stream. Following where he was pointing you nearly jumped back.

The loud huffs of breath came out in puffs of steam as the four legged creature before you threw it's head back and it's muscles clenched, ready to run.

Your eyes widened at the sight. It was a fully grown white stallion with a long shimmering horn protruding from it's forehead as it's forelock slit to either side and covered most of the creature's face.

It's eyes, a mesmerizing purple colour flashed white as the stallion flared his nostrils.

Cowering lower to the slightly frozen ground, you watched as the stallion drew forward to the water timidly.

You couldn't believe your eyes. It was a unicorn, the first you had ever seen, away from Hogwarts.

You drew closer to the stallion slowly and carefully. Showing both of your hands and making sure not to make any abrupt movements you moved fluidly closer.

The unicorn lifted it's head away from the water and looked to you. You drew your good arm out over the water in attempt to touch the nose of the grey stallion.

He drew his head back abruptly and you drew your hand back to your side slowly. The stallion slowly moved his head to pull a purple flowered plant out of the ground and drop it on a flat looking rock. He then pivoted on his back legs, and ran full gaunt off down the mountain and around the rocks until you could no longer see the ashy coloured tail flying out behind him.

Standing up, you tried to jump over the small stream to get to get the plant he had left. Your frozen legs were stiff from the cold ground and for sitting for so long so as you drew yourself up to jump they gave way and you dropped into the freezing water.

Any warmth you had was drawn out of your body in an instant, the water ran over you and you gasped for breath as the impact of the rocks and freezing water hit you. Choking out water you drew yourself up and felt the burn of the air against your face. Crawling out of the water, you threw yourself out on the grass on your back. Your only clothes were now soaked and you could feel as the cold air began to eat away at your skin. You wouldn't last the day, let alone three like this.

Looking up to the sky above you, the clouds parted and formed into shapes of things you could barely identify. Blinking your eyes to try to force the water off your eyelashes before they froze you close your eyes for a final and longer blink ad you faught back tears. For being smart you were damn good at being stupid some times.

"You alright, love?" A male voice asked, as you felt the warm tears begin to stream down your frozen face.

___
Please remember to vote on the chapter if you liked it, thanks. Who did you think it was?