Twenty Nine • Taken

Song: I don't want to be by Gavin DeGraw

Meanwhile, as the dark night rages on...

It was a cold night, the moon shone through the cover of lazy clouds as a light breeze whisked away the light cover of snow from the slightly frozen ground.

Poppy sat in the living room of your flat reading as her phoenix, that she unfortunately named Artemis, flew around the room seemingly in a daze.

"I can't use Legilimency on you to see what's wrong so just stop being a pain." Poppy said to the distressed bird.

A loud knock sounded on the flat door. With a startled jump, Poppy drew her wand.

Moving forward slowly to see who it was, she opened the door slightly to peek out into the hallway beyond.

It was Percy. The Hufflepuff boy she had befriended at school. Percival Kingston, a mature yet shy boy.

"Happy birthday, Poppy." He said, as he passed her a paper gift bag full of books.

"Thank you!" Poppy cheered as she led the boy into the flat.

"I really don't want to cause trouble, but it's my brother. Is your sister home?" Percy asked.

"No she's not. It's weird she's always home on time from work. I wonder what happened to her?" Poppy wondered.

Sitting down at the kitchen table the two friends threw themselves into idle chat about books and the upcoming return to school.

"What's wrong with your brother?" Poppy asked.

"Well... he's a squib, and lately he's been well...sick." Percy replied.

"He's sick? Are you sure?" Poppy asked.

"Yeah. Mum and dad won't let him out of the house anymore. They're afraid..." he said nervously.

"Afraid of what he can do?" Poppy asked as she picked at his mind slightly.

"Poppy please don't. I know your sister is smart. She would know what to do." Percy said as his somber face dropped even more.

"He'll be fine, I promise. My sister can do anything." Poppy said with a slight puff of pride.

"Poppy?" Percy asked as his eyes widened as he looked over her shoulder.

"What? What are you looking at?" Poppy said as she turned in her seat.

Standing in the living room, in his ripped coat and covered in cuts and blood stood Lake.

"Lake!" Poppy cried out at the sight of the man.

"Poppy! You're alive! Thank, Merlin!" Lake said in an exhausted yet happy voice.

"What's going on?" Poppy demanded.

"It's your sister. She's been taken by the Heart Cultists." Lake said as his happy expression sunk.

"There's no way. That's my sister." Poppy said in denial.

"They got Newt too." Lake replied.

"No." Poppy said on the verge of tears.

"I'm sorry. I tried to stop them. They're going to be after you next." Lake said.

"They better show up. Because I'm going to kill them. No one touches my sister, and her boyfriend, and gets away with it." Poppy spat.

"But my brother." Percy said from his seat at the table.

"What? What's wrong with your brother?" Lake asked.

"He's an Obscurus." Percy said as he shed a single tear.

"Welp, we're just going to have to deal with that first wont we?" Lake said as he shed off his jacket.

"Lake! My sister!" Poppy shouted.

"She'll be fine for now. She's got plenty of fight in her. Not to mention she has Scamander at her side. Those two would destroy anything that came within a ten foot radius of the other." Lake said with a shrug.

"Then how did they take them then, Mr Smart-arse!" Poppy shouted at him.

"They took a few of Newt's creatures. So they ran off after them I guess. They should be fine." Lake said with another shrug.

"Don't pass this off as nothing! Do they have my sister or not?" Poppy spat at the much taller and older man.

"They don't have her. Necessarily." Lake said nonchalantly.

"Well done! You're supposed to protect her!" Poppy shouted.

"She's a strong woman. She doesn't need anyone to protect her." Lake said.

"Merlin's beard! Lake!" Poppy shouted again.

"It's 1926, Poppy. Women deserve some rights." Lake said as he went and sat down beside Percy.

"So what's this about your brother?" Lake asked the younger boy.

Please vote if you liked this chapter! Oh, and comment if you want more back story about Newt and the reader's relationship!