Twenty Six • Bloodline

Song: Half of my heart by John Mayer

The bustling center of commerce and trade rushed past as you stepped out into the crowd. The tramping of heavy boots and heels hit against the floors as witch and wizard alike went on their way. Moving out into the current you made your way to the lifts.
Passing by many people sat around chatting at chairs and small tables as elves and goblins tended to useless tasks.

Arriving at your office the door sat ajar. Someone was in your office.

"Get out." You spat as you walked in to see Lake and Tina looking through your desk.

"I can explain!" Goldstein replied.

"Well she doesn't want to hear it. It's her office. Do as she says." A stern yet shaky voice said from behind you.

"Newt Scamander?" She asked at the sight of the man standing behind you.

"We were just leaving." Lake said as he sat down the file he was looking through and picked up one of the many papers.

"Who told you could look through my things?" You spat at the duo.

"I did." Said a aged male voice from the hallway behind you and Newt, who stood in the doorway to your office.

"Mr Minister, sir?" You asked.

"You have been relieved of this case, and this office for that matter." He said with a cold glare.

"What? I've been here six years. You can't just throw me out for no reason!" You replied.

"I can do what I want. You work for me woman." The minister said.

"You sexist pig!" Tina hissed from beside your desk.

"Watch that tongue of yours. You wouldn't want it cut out and fed to one of these beasts that have been wreaking havoc. Would you agent Goldstein?" The minister said with a sly smirk.

"You wretched man." You hissed, rage boiling in your veins.

"Get out before I have you removed. We no longer need you and your family history, casting a shadow over all of the British wizard council." The much older man said with spite and malice in his voice before he turned on his heel and continued down the hall.

"I just lost my job. What am I supposed to do for Poppy's tuition fees. She goes back to Hogwarts this Sunday, Spring break is over." You muttered on the verge of tears.

"I'm so sorry." Tina said.

"It's fine. I'll figure something out. I always do." You replied. You had the money, that wasn't the issue.

"What of the case?" Lake asked.

"We finish it. With or without you." You said to the man.

"It's our case now. You need to give us all of the information you collected." Tina said with a sigh.

"Don't act as though you can just brush me off. You have no idea what you're dealing with. I have to solve this case. With or without authorization from you." You said as you walked to your desk and began to take whatever you needed and shoved the papers into your bag.

"This has something to do with you-know-what. Doesn't it?" Lake whisper yelled.

"It has everything to do with you-know-what." You replied.

"What's you-know-what?" Newt asked.

"It doesn't concern others. It's a family matter. It's best not to get involved. Those who do usually end up dead." Lake said with a stern look.

"You're involved with all of this too? Aren't you?" Tina asked Newt.

"Well I'm involved with her, so I suppose so, yes." Newt replied.

"Well in that case she'd better tell you." Lake said with a shrug.

As all the eyes in the room settled on you. The tension in the air was thick enough to be cut with a knife.

There was a reason why after all this time you had never imagined to ever get attached to anyone. You couldn't. Bridges were built to be burnt in your family. If not...well let's just say people got hurt. Few descendants remained of the once great Salazar Slytherin, most killed by their own blood for power. Your very own bloodline being one of them. Only one branch of the family remained, the Riddles.

"Tell me what?" Newt asked looking concerned and slightly perplexed.

"I can't say here. Let's go." You replied.

Please remember to vote on the chapter I you liked it. Another plot twist!
I'm going back and editing some minor things, but if you made it this far it won't matter all too much, so bear with me on this. Thanks.