Thirty • Obscurus

"Lake! We are going to go help my sister, now." Poppy said as she tried to regain some calmness.

"Poppy. My brother could die. I think your sister and whoever she's with will be all right." Percy said through another few tears.

"So what happened to your brother?" Lake asked.

"We thought he was a squib for the longest time. He was adopted by my aunt who after a while couldn't take care of him. When he came to us he was nothing more that the shell of a boy." Percy said with a slight sob.

"Percy why are you crying?" Poppy asked as she patted the boy's back reassuringly.

"Gabe deserved better. He's only 11, now he's about to implode or something." Percy said.

"We can help your brother. I promise you that. The only thing is we need Poppy's sister and Newt back to do that." Lake said with a sigh.

"He doesn't have that much time left. He's already getting worse. My mother can't even calm him anymore." Percy replied.

"Lake, go help his brother if you can. I'm going to go find my sister." Poppy said as she went to her room and came back with a small bag and her coat.

"You're not going anywhere by yourself." Lake said sternly.

"Oh yeah? Then what was all that about women's right?" Poppy retorted.

"You're still a kid, Poppy. It's different." Lake said with as much patience he could muster.

"I don't care if I'm a kid! She's my sister and the only family I've got left! Just because you want to be a moody prat doesn't mean I have to suffer from it." Poppy said.

"Poppy I saw my sister, who was about your age die. I'm not having anything happen to you." Lake said.

"Why do I need to know! Boo hoo! Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it! That's not me!" Poppy shouted at the man.

"Poppy, you can't find her yourself. Not to mention that they want the amulet. If they find you, you're as good as dead." Lake said as he rested his face in his hands.

"I know that you've seen some stuff, and you act all tough and sarcastic to hide. You're just scared. Scared like the rest of them. You're no Gryffindor." Poppy said as she ran to the door.

"Poppy wait!" Percy shouted, as he stood and began to run after her.

Grabbing the young boy's arm Lake weighed his options. He could go after Poppy and possibly spend days looking for you and Newt. Or he could go now and help this boy with his brother. His sister was like Gabe. She never wanted the powers she had. She hated them, hated them as much as she hated their family. I pack of money hungry, bloodletting, ravenous wolves. It was why he had taken the hilt after his sister's death and run off.

"Let her go." Lake said flatly.

"Are you off your rocker? She's a 12 year old girl!" Percy emphasized.

"Yes but she's witch. A strong one at that for her age. Your brother is more urgent as of right now." Lake said as he stood.

Percy looked to the much taller man. Percy was in no position to decline after all, he had asked for help.

"Take me to him." Lake said in a calm voice.

The house that the two arrived at was a sturdy structure with three floors. The exterior was a crude mix of shingles and tin but it all looked well kept and secure. The interior of the house was much different. Inside it was an expensive looking house with plenty of extravagant chandeliers and fire places.

Leading Lake up the stairs to the floor with the bedrooms, Percy began to get nervous.

Sitting in the corner of a smaller bedroom was a small boy. The boy sat looking at a large leather bound book.

"Hi there. I'm Lake Tyrrell. Could I talk to you for a bit?" Lake asked the boy as he stood in the doorway.

The small boy looked up from his book, his eyes were like carved black sockets in his pale ghastly face. The boy's blond hair fell down over his black, lifeless eyes.

"Leave." The boy whispered as he looked back to his book.

"I'm not going to hurt you." Lake said to the boy.

"Maybe not, but I'll hurt you. Leave before you die." The boy whispered.

Lake was in over his head. His sister had never been so straight forward. So unafraid and unaffected. Was there even a way to help this boy?

Please comment and or vote if you liked this chapter. There will be much more Newt in the next chapter I promise!