Part 3

Rk let Madhu to step into the elevator first, then he followed her, tapping the number of his floor & then leaned his back on the metal wall watching the door shut.

"13th floor?" Madhu asked him horrified.

"Yep! 13B"

"That's evil number."

"Don't be silly." Rk chuckled.

"How long have you been staying here?"

"6 years or so."

"Oh!"

"My dad gifted me this apartment when I cleared Civil Service exam & became IPS officer."

"Oh nice. How many attempts you took to clear the exam?"

"I got IPS on the third time. First two times I got IRS & IFS. One of my girlfriend broke up with me just because I didn't take up IFS" Rk said shaking his head.

"Oh! You are so passionate about being a police."

"Yes. I am. I love the thrill I get in this job."

"Can I ask you something."

"Ask anything."

"Um... Do you still have feeling for any of your ex-girlfriends?"

"Nope! They ditched me, then why should I even remember them?"

"Good!" Madhu sighed visibly making Rk smirk at her.

"You don't wear sarees much? Always jeans & top huh?"

"I prefer jeans. I am not comfortable with sarees. It's hard to manage sarees."

"Hmm..."

"Why? Am I not pretty in jeans?" Madhu asked. Rk smirked & shook his head.

"What's so funny?"

"You girls do know you are pretty then why you ask us, boys?" It was his way of telling her she was looking pretty.

"I guess your mean mouth could be the reason for your girlfriends ditching you. You don't even know to appreciate real beauty. You are a husk of a man"

"Thank you" he smiled so proudly, utterly unaffected.

"Come, we are here." Rk took Madhu's hand & lead her to his apartment. He fished out the key from his pocket & opened the door.

"Welcome." He smiled at Madhu sweetly. Madhu couldn't help but smile back at him.

"Why your parents are not staying with you?"

"I am not staying with them. My dad actually wanted me to move in here only after my marriage... But I moved in immediately I got the posting. I wanted to keep my family away from me. I don't want to tangle them with me & put their lives in danger. Now hardly anyone knows I have a family."

"Now you are going to put my life in danger?" Madhu asked faking a worry.

"I won't put your life in danger... You yourself will do." Rk grinned.

"Come, I'll give you a tour." He held her by her waist & walked along with her.
"You know to cook?" Rk asked when they entered into the kitchen island.

"Of course! I love eating so isn't it obvious I do know to cook?" She asked him in wonder.
"No, it isn't!"
"Do you cook?"
"Yep! For more than six years I am staying on my own so isn't it obvious I should know cooking"
"No! It isn't!" She said in the same tone of his & mirrored his smirk.
"Since both of us know to cook, we can share our work, I guess"
"Sure"