Chapter 48 (Part 2)

Jackson's P.O.V-

*Flash Back*

-Two Years Ago-

"Where are you going, Jackson?" Mom asks, her arm stretched holding the end of the laundry basket as she holds it against her hip. The dark circles underneath her eyes are more visible than they were last week.

Throwing on my leather jacket, I meet her brown eyes and move past her, reaching over to grab my phone.

"A friends," I simply lie and watch as her facial emotion change to a concerned look.

"Jackson, you know how I feel about them." She repeats from a few weeks back. Mom dislikes my choice in friends but it's my decision not hers.

I glance over at the clock, rested between two picture frames, on the left Trent and the right myself. We never had a family photo, no matter how much mom tried to force us. I really dislike the idea of photos and being around family, I enjoy my time to myself.

The clock strikes three and I look at my mom again, grabbing the keys and rushing out of the little home before she speaks. Once I've stepped out of the house I'm greeted with the cold wind hitting against my skin. The sky is dark grey, small raindrops hit the ground as I make my way towards the parked black vehicle on the rocky driveway.

I get in the car, the warmth overcoming the coldness from outside. I start up the car and once it's warmed up I make my way through the streets of our little neighbourhood.

I've been instructed to meet Victor by his work in the heart of Stratford. The rain falls onto the car window causing it to go foggy and blurry. I turn on the windshield wipers and drive onto the main road to the city.

Surprising not many people are on the roads today which makes the trip even easier and much quicker.

I park the vehicle nearby a small building where Victor works, making my way out of the car I spot Victor smoking a lit cigarette then tossing it onto the floor as he see's me. He grins widely as he steps on the cigarette butt.

"Jackson, thought you wouldn't make it." He speaks, giving me a hard pat against my back.

"I'm here," I nod, looking around the parking lot. There's hollow cracks on the wet ground, scraps and wrappers swirling in the wind along with the dead leaves.

"I've got something for you to do," Victor's eyes darken as his words leave his mouth. Whenever there's something to do for him it's never good news, It's my responsibility not to get caught or tell anyone about it or he has consequences.

"Mhhhm.. What is it?" I keep my eyes on him, speaking low and stuffing my cold hands into the pockets of my pants.

"Jarred Williston," He begins and my eyes widen at the name. I shake my head as if I already know what else his going to say.

"No, no!" I raise my voice, running my hand through my hair as I take a few steps back for some space.

"Phobe's dad!? Mia's husband? No!" I couldn't hurt them, no matter what. They we're basically my second family from the start. I grew up with them and always had my best memories with them. That family was something special to me, I've see them more of a family than my own..

"You would change your mind if I told you the truth," Victors words distract me from my thoughts and I let my arms fall to either side of me. I look from his shoes to his perfectly combed hair before walking closer towards him.

"What truth.." I taut.

"There's a reason Jarred came back without Lucas.., your father. There's a reason why he never returned to his family and friends. There's a reason to it all but you never realised it, at all..." His lips curl into a small smirk but then it fades off his face before he continues.