1 (Prologue)

*NOTE: The main character here is pretty young, which would explain her immature & unrealistic way of thinking. Please bear that in mind! Ty & enjoooy xx

C H 1 | Prologue

If it isn't for my foundation, my face would be as red as a tomato right now.

I gulp nervously, glancing around the cafeteria to see every pair of eyes on me... and also on the short, fat boy with one of his belly flab awkwardly peeping through his red ironman shirt and grey trouser shorts, standing on the large lunch table that sits in the middle of the cafeteria. To everyone, he is a laughing stock who just made a complete fool out of himself.

To me, he is my secret best friend who just told me that he's in love with me.

I know what they are waiting for. I know what they want to see, and what they're expecting from me. I mean, I am the most popular girl in school; known for my naturally stunning beauty(even though I wear makeup now), my doll-like figure, my amazing fashion sense, being captain of the freshman cheerleading squad, my multi-millionaire father and most importantly, my mean-girl attitude.

I'm only a freshman and the entire school is scared shitless of me. No one dares to mess with me, or they know they'll be roasted for life. I'm like a gun, my comebacks are bullets and if you trigger me, you're dead meat.

And that's the way I like it.

Only at school though ─ don't get me wrong, this isn't my true self. I'm only like this so then I positively become prom queen when I get to senior year! It's been a huge dream of mine ever since I was a little kid; to follow my mom's footsteps and be crowned prom queen. My dad used to tell me all sorts of stories about my brave, elegant and warm-hearted mother. But the prom story is what sits with me deep. And with all the attention I'm getting now, there's no way I'm planning to lose.

"Hello? Earth to Summer!" One of my besties, Amanda, snaps me back to reality.

Oh yeah that's right ─ my true bestie, Vincent Taylor, just confessed his feelings to me in front the whole entire school. And even worse, nobody knows that we're even somewhat connected. Vince(that's my nickname for him) has been my best friend since the day his family moved in to the mansion next to ours. We were both seven years old, and at first I would dislike him because he always offered me food. For some reason, I found it offensive. But eventually we got along, and now we're the best of friends.

Until probably now.

If I say yes, all my hard work and ambition of becoming Prom Queen will immediately die with it. If I say no, I'll lose Vince. Possibly forever.

But what is my heart saying though? Yes? No? Maybe so?

For the first time today, I look into Vince's eyes. He's already looking back at me through his black-rimmed circular glasses, his eyes dancing and his smile genuine and patient.

I swallowed. I clearly know the answer to that. I've known for a long time now.

But being prom queen means the world to me. It makes me feel closer to my mom whom I've never met and constantly dreamt of meeting. I've cried myself to sleep multiple times, wishing that I could have her by my side.

My mom, who died for me.

Basically I am choosing between my mom or Vincent.

However, after everything Vince and I have been through, I couldn't possibly do this to him either.

And with that, I spin on my heels and walk towards the exit.