29

CH 29 |

"HE DOESN'T HATE YOU?" Phoebe screeches ever so loudly, twisting her finger in her ear as if they're suddenly not working properly, or as if she misheard me.

We're currently sitting on the bed of the bedroom that I woke up in, and I have just finished filling her in of everything that went down with Vincent.

I wince, hushing her as I shout-whisper, "For crying out loud, Phoebe! Could you yell it any louder?"

She smirks. "Is that a challenge?"

I stare at her with my very un-amused facial expression.

She chuckles. "Okay, sorry! But dude, I can't believe this! He doesn't hate you—"

"—Apparently!" I add. "Who knows, he's probably trying to trick me."

She shakes her head firmly. "Nah man, he totally likes you!"

My heart jolts at the thought, but I know that'll never be true though. There might be a fine line between love and hate, but I'm pretty sure it's not that fine.

I shoot her a skeptic look. "Er, that's a little far-fetched Phoebe—"

"—I mean, it all makes sense now!" Phoebe carries on, completely ignoring my objections. "That explains why he kept sneaking glances at you at the party! I thought he was just scheming some revenge plot, but now that I think of it — he was totally checking you out!"

For the one-millionth time today, my jaw drops and my cheeks — no, my entire face — was flaming. Once again, I probably resemble a big, ripe tomato.

Oblivious to my clearly petrified appearance, she continues to blabber complete rubbish. "And also how when he saw my brother asking you to dance, there was this stormy look in his eyes and he started walking towards you guys, and Sasha was following him... And then you started walking backwards and accidentally hit her."

My shocked expression still remains for a few more moments as I try to register what Phoebe has just told me.

Eventually, I shake myself out of it and just laugh off her crazy talk. "Look, I'm pretty sure you've misinterpreted the entire thi— WAIT you know Theo and I—"

"—Have a thing?" Phoebe snickered. "Honey, I've known for ages. I've just been waiting for you to tell me."

My cheeks once again catch on red fire and I look down at the floor in guilt. "Sorry. I was scared that you'd hate me."

"Hate you?" Phoebe raises her eyebrows, a huge grin on her face. "Girl, never. You're one of the coolest friends I ever had."

I pout at her, trying not to get all emotional. I haven't had any friends in ages, not even any cassmates who were willing to converse with me once in a while back in Malibu. Yet I feel so blessed to have found such a caring friend like her.

"You too, and I truly mean it." I smile sincerely. "Thank you for legit always being there for me, especially right now... Wait a minute, Phoebe, how did you get caught up in this?"

"Oh right, I didn't tell you! Well I saw you and Vincent hand in hand at the party — well everybody did, including Sasha who flipped when she saw Vincent's hand on your waist! Meera had to kick her out because of the huge scene she was making. Anyways, I immediately knew something concerning was going on. I mean, you guys are like mortal enemies; like Microsoft and Apple or something..."