27

CH 27 |

When I wake up, the first thing that I register is the peculiar feeling on my cheeks, of which consists of some wet thing repeatedly sliding up and down my cheeks.

What the actual fudge?

Immediately I scream at the ever top of my lungs, rolling away as far as possible from this uncanny torture device. I don't dare to open my eyes... Which ultimately leads me to falling off the — what I've now realised — bed in an epic thud.

I grumble some very colourful curses under my breath. Seems like my body has a thing for falling off beds these days...

Hesitantly, I open my eyes, expecting to see a dark, prisoner room with rats scurrying around. Instead, I'm met with something far, far worse.

This room is the complete opposite!

Here I am, in a spacious, gorgeously lit room with expensive-appearing modern decors and in general just so comfortable to be in. What kind of manipulating technique is this? Are whoever is holding me hostage trying to trick me into believing that I'm not being held hostage so then I don't scream?!

Hah, nice try losers. But I'm one step ahead of you—

Suddenly, the "torture device" leaps over the bed and onto my lap, placing its paw on my chest and resuming to lick the heck out of me.

"Woah, easy there boy!" I chuckle, ruffling his white fluffy hair. How do I know that it's a boy? Easy. You look at the thing dangling below... His neck called a collar tag! Hah, gotcha.

"Ah, the sleeping beauty has awoken." Theo shoots a broad, charming smile as he enters the room holding a tray of what seems like breakfast. I think. Well I have no idea what time it is, or what year it even is.

My cheeks instantly heat up at his flirty comment, and I mentally curse at my heartbeat to calm the hell down. Whatever, Theo probably says that to a lot of girls anyway. Look at his attractive features, he probably gets the same reactions too.

When his eyes land on the cuteness on my lap, he shrieks and almost drops his tray as he cries, "How the hell did that thing escape its boundaries?"

Okay, the fact that he hates dogs is not an attractive feature.

"Oh grow a pair will you? Just because you got bitten by one when you were five doesn't mean that all dogs are going to bite you. Let alone a puppy!" Phoebe materialises in the doorway, rolling her eyes at her brother.

"Phoebe!" I exclaim with utter happiness, jumping up and enveloping her in a huge hug. Yay, so I'm not being held hostage after all!

"Hey girl, how are you feeling?" She chirps. There's a hint of struggle in her voice, probably because I'm squeezing her so hard but I can't help it! I'm so glad to see her! When we finally break away, she looks me in the eyes with concern. "You've been asleep for a whole day, way longer than an average faint."

I look around at how normal everything appears to be. So normal that it seems as if the deranged events at Meera's party couldn't possibly have happened. Or maybe it didn't! Maybe I just dreamt the entire thing!

Grinning, I sigh with deep relief. "Honestly, never been better! You see, I had this crazy dream that Hamish and his gang were 'Ninjas' and they were trying to kidnap me to take me to this super dark organisation called C.H.A.N where they blackmail newly rising businesses with their illegal secrets—" I take a moment to look at Phoebe's horrified facial expression and nod vigorously. "—I know, totally bonkers right?! But it gets worse!