25

CH 25 |

"Can—you—slow—down—please?" I manage to choke out whilst being completely out of breath. To say we're running like the wind is an understatement. "Not—all—of—us—are—used—to—running!"

It's true. If I wasn't in a life-and-death situation right now, I probably won't even consider running an option. I'm too healthy for that. Note the sarcasm...

Besides, it's not very ideal for my swollen knee either, which is aching and is probably on the brink of collapsing.

From the corner of my eyes I see his perfect blue eyes crinkle, a sign that he's probably smirking as he says, "Believe me, this is me going slow for you."

My mouth parts wide open at him, and I stutter madly as I reply, "Y-y-you're—joking, right?"

He tilts his head to look at me, his golden mob of hair flopping up and down on his forehead as we run faster than the wind. He raises a brow, not even a hint of breathlessness as he prods, "Wanna see if I am or not?"

I shake my head vigorously, probably resembling someone being electrocuted as I do so. "No, no! I'm good thanks."

He chuckles softly. How can he do that? How is he not dying or gasping for breath like I am? If it wasn't for him holding my hand and tugging me along with him, I would be on the floor right now, passed out from all this exercise.

We continue to run, the sound of footsteps chasing us slowly disappearing by the second. We turn left into another hallway and my eyes widen at the sight of an open doorway, illuminating various colours of lights whilst the faint sound of party music blares through the speakers as cheering and chatters of people are heard.

As swiftly as possible, I yank my hand out of the Ninja's grasp and dash through the doorway, entering the enormous crowd of the party. I maneuver through the crowd in great relief as I search for my friends.

He might be physically incredibly talented, but he's got the brain of a bird. As if I'd stay with him! Does he think I'm stupid or something? Clearly, with the same look he had going on as the gang, he is on their side and is only tricking me into trusting him so then he can lure me to them!

I know their tricks, and they're pretty unintelligent ones too. Poor guys, they need a genius like Phoebe.

I continue to maneuver further into the party, smiling to myself. Phew, finally! I'm saf—

"What are you doing?!"

I can feel my face drain all colour and my jaw plummet to the floor as a certain Ninja appears — literally out of nowhere — in front of me. Irritation is evident in his eyes and his arms are crossed over his chest firmly. He does not look very impressed.

One again, he just defied the laws of physics. What on Earth is he?

Having been loss for words, my mouth opens and closes repeatedly, causing me to look like a fish.

He sighs deeply. "You're not safe here. The gang controls the lights. They can turn them off and take you at any given moment."

It is then that I realise that Meera had mentioned it earlier in the week just before I first met her. Dammit, I should've seen this coming!

I cross my arms challengingly back, glowering at him. "And why should I trust you instead?"

He steps closer to me and leans down, whispering in my ear. "Because I saved you from them last time, remember?"