5

C H 5 |

As we approach the grand front doors of the magnificent, masterpiece of a mansion belonging to my ex-best friend's parents, the doors coincidentally open to reveal a cheerful, aged couple wearing clothes that scream rich.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't be talking... but you know, for the sake of a good description?

"Oh my goodness, Summer my little cupcake!" The oh-so-familiar lady a.k.a Mrs Taylor blissfully beams, pouncing at me which is then followed by an embrace so tight that not even the amount of calcium I consume can save my bones.

"Mrs Taylor," I somehow manage to squeak out, fighting to breathe. "Hi."

"Oh, no need for the formalities!" At last, she releases me and my now aching bones. "Call me Wendy, just like the old times."

Just like the old times.

I don't know why, but those words stirred bitterness in my stomach. The old times, when I was a total asshole to everybody.

And now I'm going to face the consequences. Oh boy.

"Look at you, all grown up into a strikingly gorgeous young lady!" Hands still gripped onto my shoulders, Wendy's electric-blue eyes ─ that are a mirror-match to Vincent's ─ bore into mine with love and admiration, and a hint of... tears? "I missed baking with you."

I smile sadly, recounting all the good ol' times Wendy and I shared ever since they'd moved next door to our home when I was nine. She treated me like a daughter she never had and whenever Vincent wasn't around, she'd teach me how to bake all kinds of delicious cakes ─ and her secret recipes too. She even nicknamed me Cupcake!

I nod, raising a brow with a playful grin. "Maybe we can bake together next time?"

Haha, next time. There isn't going to be a "next time", and you know that too well.

I mean, have you seen that guy? Okay, maybe you haven't seen seen that guy but let me just assure you ─ the look that he gave me earlier today screams bloody murder!

Her eyes instantly light up. "Yes, yes! Oh that would be so wonderful! How about tomorrow?"

My grin flickers. Assuming that I somehow, miraculously survive today because Vincent sneezes and then I get gifted with kung-fu skills and take the chance to karate-chop my way out of here, why would I ever want to come back? "Uh, s-sure."

"Brilliant! Can't wait, Cupcake!" She chuckles and pinches my cheeks, then moves onto exchanging greetings with my dad and the chauffeur.

As they do so, my eyes explore the scenery of their home. The mansion stands tall and proud, towering over us like a humongous bodyguard in the clear night sky. It's clearly a newly built mansion that is at most three years old. There are glass walls and windows everywhere and the light from inside illuminates the front garden, in which we are all gathered in right now. My eyes continues to roam around the windows when suddenly it lands on a specific, large one which it's curtain has been rapidly pulled the second my eyes landed on it. My breath hitches as I gaze at the tall, lean and built silhouette that remains standing behind the curtains for a few more moments, then marches away.

I gulp. I hope it's not who I think it might be.

A minute later, Mr Taylor appears by my side and I look up to see him smiling brightly back at me, his hands locked together behind his back. "Ah, Summer! It's so lovely to see you again."

I smile and nod. "Likewise, Mr Taylor."

He unlocks his hands and halts it in front of me in a stopping gesture. "Please, call me Harry." He leans down and winks at me, a radiant smile still plastered on his face. "Vincent is going to be over the moon when he sees you."