Chapter Three (pt. 2)

"I think you missed the best act of the night," said Tima, chuckling. "Zari just went, she—" Tima erupted into a fit of giggles and could not stop laughing long enough to get out what she had to say. "She came out, everyone thought she was going to time herself organizing a pencil box or something, then she—she," Tima couldn't control herself. Her eyes filled with tears as she tried to contain her laughter. "Then she started to sing! It was absolutely horrible. She was laughed off the stage!"

Ivy swiveled in her chair, looking around the room for Zari. She located her at a table in the back, talking to her only friend. Her eyes had a sort of fire behind them, which only made them seem colder. She was probably telling her friend how she had not properly warmed up before she had gone on stage.

"I always miss the good stuff," said Ivy, turning back towards the stage. The lounge had the feel of an old karaoke bar. The small stage was at the front with tables and chairs scattered around the room facing it. Behind the audience was the bar, where they were able to order food and drinks. Manning the bar was the club manager, Tomas Ordeal Motor, better known as Tom Tom.

Tom Tom had been a bartender before The End. Although it was illegal to make or consume alcohol—they did not want anyone to accidentally walk over the edge in a drunken stupor—he was allowed to make virgin versions of old drinks.

"What do you want to eat?" Ivy asked Tima while the next act was getting ready to go on.

"I'll just take a burger and water," said Tima.

Ivy got up to order the meal.

"Ivy!" Tom Tom shouted as she strode up to the wooden bar. "Long time no see."

"It's only been a week," said Ivy, rolling her eyes.

"Well, a week for you feels like a century to me." He grinned. "What can I do you for tonight?"

"Two burgers and water, please."

"Water? I've never heard of any such thing. What is that?"

Ivy laughed. "Come on, Tom Tom, you have other customers waiting."

"Not as important as you though, remember that. You sure you don't want a virgin apple martini or something? Those are much more fun to make."

"Just the burgers and water."

"Okay." Tom Tom cocked his head to one side, in the way a young boy looking to get into trouble would. "My brand new employee will bring them to your table. Graduated with you, I suspect."

"Name?" Ivy asked. She had not paid attention to most of the other placements the previous day.

"You'll see." He placed the burgers on the grill and continued taking orders from the customers behind her.

Ivy sat back down next to Tima again. "Who's next?" she asked, craning her next to see over the sea of people.

"I didn't catch her name."

An Indian girl walked out onto the stage. Ivy recognized her as the girl who had received the other Exploration Unit placement. She wore her dark hair in a tight ponytail and a ball was clutched under her arm. She was tall and athletic looking, probably capable of taking on any boy in a fifty-meter dash.

The girl did not take any time to address the audience. Instead, she started to juggle the ball with just about every part of her body besides her hands. Cheers and applause erupted from the audience of her peers as she continued. The ball did not touch the ground once. Her act lasted five minutes, and for every second of it, the audience was at the edge of their seats. In the end, everyone except Zari and her friend stood to applaud. They remained seated with scowls on their faces.