Chapter Twelve (pt. 1)

The watch Ivy held in her hands read eight o'clock. She stuck her head through the mouth of the tent to wake the others. While they packed under the supervision of the setting sun, Ivy could not help but notice how beautiful it was. It was amazing how the sky could change from scorched yellows to soft oranges and pinks then bizarre and vivid purples.

Ivy was alive and she would stay alive. She was sure of it. They replenished themselves with water and something to eat before they headed towards the dying sun. This pattern of travel lasted for the next two days. Coupled with small conversations and their own thoughts, the journey was not all that bad.

"It's a lovely sight," said Yani as she observed the view on their third day of travel at sunset.

"Could we have been able to see this from The Society?" Zari asked, also enamored by the sunset.

"I don't think so," said Ivy. "And if we could have, it's a shame I never took the time to notice."

No one had to say anything for Ivy to know they agreed. It was not until Yani asked if they could take a short break from trekking that Ivy realized they had been walking for nearly five hours.

"My goodness, this is more work than looking after twenty toddlers by myself," said Yani, taking a swig of water. The only source of light came from the full moon up above and the millions of shining stars.

"Look at that," said Zari. "We definitely wouldn't be able to see this from The Society. I'm sure of it. Shame."

"If you think about it, we didn't see a whole lot in The Society," said Ivy. "It's almost as if it was designed to distract us from the beauty in the world. Imagine what everyone up there is missing."

Silence.

"I mean, why can't we all live down here?"

"And do what? How would we be able to sustain life? Everything we need to survive is up there. There would be no point in coming down."

"Sure there would. You see it for yourself, Zari. This," Ivy said as she spread her arms wide, "is worth it, don't you think? We wouldn't be here if we weren't supposed to inhabit this place."

"Maybe we're here to survive."

"Survive for what purpose?"

"Survive just to survive," Zari insisted. "We should get going again. Are you ready, Yani?"

Yani nodded and stood to get walking again.

They traveled in a line this time. Ivy hovered at the back, pondering a previous thought she had come across back at home. Why was she here? What was her purpose?

There had to be a reason other than 'just because.' Anger fueled by and directed toward herself, swelled for thinking that way. She felt as though her life would be so much easier if she no longer felt the need to have answers. Jealousy crept through her body for the people who were satisfied with living just to live. The sun began to rise above the horizon. The group slowed to a tired trudge. All three dragged their feet in exhaustion.

Zari slowed to a stop. "How far is it from here?"

"It felt like two minutes on the pod, but we were obviously going faster," said Ivy.

"Let's set up here."

Again, they erected the tent and recharged themselves as the sun steadily rose.

"Oh no," said Ivy as she looked into the two bags. "How can we almost be out?"

"Out of what?"

"Everything. The food, the water, it's almost gone!"

The three stole glances of suspicion at each other. Who had been taking more than they needed?

"I think it was you, Ivy," said Zari.

"What?"

"You were walking in the back where no one would be able to see you. Who knows what you were doing back there."

"I wasn't taking extra food and water, that's for sure."

"Now, girls," said Yani. "There's no use pointing fingers. We just have to figure something out and move on."

"You know what?" said Ivy. She took a step closer to her accuser. "You're the one who decided to come down here. These packs were made for two people in mind, not three. It's your fault we're almost out. We would be fine if you weren't here."

Ivy had to stop, for she was overcome with emotion. She could not let Zari see her on the brink of tears. "I'm going inside. Wake me up when it's my shift," she said.

As she lay there, the last thing she was able to do was sleep. Yani had not yet come in to rest yet. Instead, she talked to Zari outside. If Ivy strained her ears hard enough, she could hear their conversation.