Chapter Six (pt. 3)

"What is that!" shouted Zari.

No one had to answer. As they got closer, Ivy could make out two air creatures devouring the pile of carcasses.

"We didn't make it," said Enzo.

It only took a moment for someone to cry out. "The land creatures are the ones that are dangerous! I was taught the air creatures were harmless!" It was now Ivy who could not control her emotions. Disillusioned about what went on behind the curtains of The Society; like in the children's story, The Wizard of Oz, her grandmother used to read to her, everything was not how it seemed after taking a look behind the screen.

As Enzo inched the pod closer to its ascension point, Zari yelled, "What are you doing? We can't get closer to them, they'll kill us!" She was on the verge of tears.

"Calm down. They're distracted, they won't notice, trust me."

"Trust you? Trust you! You've been saying that all day. You take us out into the desert for four hours; there is a pile of dead bodies under The Society for creatures to make a meal of? And I'm supposed to trust you?" Zari had tears rolling down her cheeks by the time she was finished.

Enzo looked just as flustered as they reached the ascension point. He was right; the creatures paid them no mind as the pod crept past. Ivy closed her eyes as they ascended.

Once docked, everyone exited the pod in silence. All had grown noticeably tanner and dirtier than they had been just four hours previously.

"Hold on," said Enzo. "I just want to let you know, you should not have seen what you saw. Not on your first day at least. That is my fault. However, it is a reality that we cannot change." After a moment of solemn silence, he continued. "I'll give you all a break for tomorrow. You deserve it."

The girls walked back towards the entrance of the Exploration Unit building.

"What happens if you break the confidentiality agreement?" Ivy asked Nadia in a whisper.

"You automatically get three points on your record," said Zari, who walked closely behind them. "You will be exiled. You would know this if you had read the contract."

"Thanks, Nadia," said Ivy, directed towards Zari. "People should know what's going on," she finished, directed towards Nadia.

"It's your funeral," said Nadia. "I'll see you soon."

They had reached the entrance and walked back outside, going their separate ways.

"It's weird how much they keep from us, isn't it?"

Ivy turned to Zari who had spoken. She hadn't noticed Zari was still walking behind her.

"I mean, I don't even think it'll better The Society, keeping everyone from the truth," she continued.

"You're right." Ivy came to the realization that there was nothing anyone could do about it, which hurt most of all. Making her way home, she decided to stop by Tima's house to see if she was in. There was something about the shrubbery she had seen that was stuck in her brain.

After ringing the doorbell a few times with no answer, Tima's younger sister finally opened the door.

"Hey, Tracy," said Ivy, smiling down at the five year-old.

"Ivy, you can't visit Tima, she's sick," the little one stated. "You might get sick too."

"Sick? I promise I won't get sick if you let me in. I just need to talk to her."