Chapter Eleven (pt. 1)

Mrs. Stone woke her daughters at six in the morning. No one spoke as they got ready for the day. When Ivy made it downstairs, an array of breakfast food was spread across the table.

"I got up early to make it," said Mrs. Stone, re-arranging all the plates of food nervously. "I just wanted it to be special."

"It will be special, mom." Ivy took a seat.

Mr. Stone and Spencer ambled in next.

"The two celebrities," said Mrs. Stone. "Happy birthday, baby girl. And happy Father's Day, sweetheart." Mrs. Stone hugged and kissed them both.

"Happy Father's Day, dad," said Ivy, watching the two sit down.

He did nothing but nod in her general direction.

Although it was time for celebration, nobody spoke as they ate the extravagant breakfast. Even after everyone was finished, they sat there staring at each other.

"Time for presents?" Ivy asked. "I'll go first." She ran upstairs and returned with two objects hidden behind her back.

"For dad, a letter and a kiss." She gave him both. "For Spencer, something old." She revealed a historic-looking royal blue backpack. It was the same backpack that Ivy had carried her prized possessions in when she was ten and The End had come.

Spencer's eyed widened. "Thank you!" She got up to give her older sister a hug and receive her gift, which she then began to wear.

Everyone was all smiles for the moment.

"This is from your father and I, Spencer," said Mrs. Stone. "I know it isn't exactly what you had asked for." She pulled out a new box of markers and a bound notebook. "For your creative spirit."

"Thank you. I was running out of colors, and now I have something to write my stories in." Spencer rose to embrace her parents. She put the markers and notebook in her new backpack with a huge smile on her face.

"Well," said Mr. Stone, "we better get going to your, umm, thing, Ivy. We were told to be there at eight."

Ivy froze.

"They dropped off a box for you yesterday that we're supposed to give to you. I put it in your room."

There was more silence as Ivy left the kitchen to see what was in the mystery box. It sat on her bed, almost like a present would, except there was nothing happy or exciting about it.

"What's inside?" Spencer asked, having just walked in.

"I haven't looked yet."

"Want me to open it?"

Ivy nodded.

Spencer stepped forward and opened the black box. She gasped and jumped back at the sight of its contents. Ivy went to look and had a similar reaction.

Contained within was a set of crimson plainclothes.

"I thought that color was banned," Spencer whispered.

"It is."

"Then why—"

"They want me to wear them today." She put them on. They fit perfectly. They had to have been specially made for her.

"They look beautiful," said Spencer.

She was right. The bright red of the clothes did appeal to the eye—especially an eye that was not used to seeing such a color. However, Ivy knew the sick cruelty behind the color red. She would not last long down on earth wearing this, and whoever had sent the box knew it too.

"We should go."

Ivy followed Spencer and her parents out of the house, but not before stopping to take one last look before closing the door behind her. It was nothing compared to her home from before The End, but it was still home. Oddly enough, she would miss it with the same intensity she missed her first one.

"Where are we going?" Spencer asked her father.

"I don't quite know. It looks like a place just beside the Exploration Unit building, near the edge. I have directions."

They walked on, following the directions and attracting the stares of passerby, some of whom started to follow. They were headed towards the edge of The Society all right, for Ivy could see the warning signs. Up ahead was some sort of awning where a pod hovered over the edge, idly waiting.

By the time the Stone family arrived, a large crowd was in tow. It was the red color of Ivy's clothes that attracted them. Never before had she received so much attention and she did not like it.

"Hello, Ivy," said Topher as they approached the tent-like structure. "Mr. Stone, Mrs. Stone, Spencer," he finished, shaking their hands in turn. He pointed to the left. "You can wait over to the side, Ivy. Your family will have to join the crowd, unfortunately. You will be given a chance to say your final goodbyes later. We're just waiting for one more and then we can start."

Ivy walked off to the side and stood facing the growing crowd that her parents became a part of. A microphone and speakers were set up soon after.

The whispers emitting from the throng of people grew louder as more joined. Soon, it looked as if most of The Society had come out to watch. Ivy could make out Terri, Zari and her sister, Tima and her family, Noah, the Turner family without Alex, Principal Moore, Nico Chambers, Enzo, Nadia, and Ronaldo, along with the rest of The Society's population she did not know—all staring at her.