Chapter Fifteen (pt. 11)

Nadia

Her parents had never known her. She had no idea where she had come from or how she had come to be. Maybe it was for the best. The pictures she held in her mind depicting the early stages of her life were probably better than the truth. In her mind, she had a mother that smelled of rose petals and a father whose laughter shook the house.

She distanced herself from people in the foster home she had grown up in—always watching, always listening and never participating. She became good at being invisible. Adopted at the age of ten, three months later the world ended. She felt as if it was her fault. For her birthday that year, right before she blew out the candles, she had wished for the world to end. She had wished that she would end.

Because of the disaster, Nadia had never grown close to her new parents. They were only caregivers to her, nothing more. Given the opportunity for a special assignment, she left without saying goodbye to them.

The Society was better than Subsolaneus. She did not want to go back. Old enough to care for herself, she was happy to be alone. There was something missing, though. She would help Ivy for her own reasons. Nadia knew that having at least one unconventional friend was better than none at all.

It was only she and Enzo now that both Zari and Ivy were exiled. They always worked in silence. There had been no tryouts to fill the empty positions. They were checking to make sure the equipment in the pods was working correctly when the announcement was broadcast.

"Are you going to that?" Nadia asked.

Enzo looked up. "No, I have been given special permission not to attend."

"What for?"

"Personal reasons."

"I think I might sneak in to see what they're going to talk about."

"No," said Enzo. He ran his finger around the collar of his black plainclothes. "It's only for adults."

"I think I'm adult enough," said Nadia, stepping closer to him. "Don't you?"

"Promise me you will stay away from there."

"Why?"

"I have a feeling."

"What kind?"

"A bad one." Enzo fidgeted.

"Tell me what's going to happen."

They stared at each other for a moment before Enzo revealed, "People are going to die." This explanation was angry. Enzo's nostrils flared and his voice rose with each word.

"Do you want that to happen?" Nadia asked.

"No, of course not."

"Then stop it from happening."

"You don't understand. I can't." Tears formed in his eyes, making them shimmer under the sun.

"Join a resistance, then," Nadia whispered.

"What?"

"We can stop him. Join us."

"No. I can't," said Enzo, backing away. "It's something that must happen. You don't understand. I have to warn him."

Nadia grabbed Enzo before he could get away. Though bigger than she was, she was able to hold him still. It was as if he was too weak to put up a fight.

"I can't let you do that."

"You don't understand. This has to happen. Remember how I said I took over after the former head of this Unit had died? His death wasn't a natural one. It was intended. He didn't follow the rules."

"Haven't you allowed President Khamar to kill enough people? You just want to save your own skin. Think about how many children will be left without parents. They'll be all alone!"

Trying to get free of Nadia's grip, Enzo gave up, letting his head slump to his chest.

"What are you going to do?" he asked. You can't keep me here forever and if you let me go, I will warn him. And I won't let you go, either." He grabbed her. Her violent wriggles couldn't grant her freedom.

"Help!" Enzo yelled. "Help! Over here!"

People were coming. There was only one thing left to do. Nadia shifted her weight and they both toppled out of the pod to the ground. Still holding on to each other, they rolled. Rolled to the edge. Rolled over the edge. Enzo's shouts rang into the sky and the fast approaching ground. Nadia closed her eyes, waiting for impact. Finally. Peace.