Chapter Eight (pt. 3)

Decorated with ornate furniture, it felt warm and inviting. The floor plan must have been the same but on a larger scale, Ivy realized, when she was led into an office exactly where her father's office was in her own home.

"Have a seat."

As Ivy took one of the two chairs facing a rich mahogany desk, President Khamar picked up a small silver bell and began to ring it. After a few soft chimes sounded in the air, he seated himself in a large brown chair opposite Ivy. The desk became a gulf between them⎯something physical to keep them separated. He kept his blank eyes on Ivy even after a small man, who looked almost identical to Terri, appeared at the doorway.

"Yes, sir?" the man said.

"Topher, please bring some lemonade for my guest Ivy and I."

"Yes, sir. Right away, sir," said Topher as he backed out of the office.

"He looks familiar, doesn't he?" said President Khamar. "That's Terri's twin, he is. Lucky to have this job if you ask me."

"You seem to have a thing for twins," observed Ivy. The room grew colder as her words filled the air.

President Khamar paused before continuing. "You should be wondering why I am meeting with you."

Ivy's eyebrows rose.

Topher returned with two tall glasses of lemonade. He set one on a glass coaster in front of Ivy, and handed the other to President Khamar. The wooden shelves in the office space were full of books, leading Ivy to wonder if they were real or just there to fill space. The desk was neatly organized. Not a pen out of place. Pictures of K.J. and the President stared at her—their unblinking, unmoving faces held her attention for a moment. They looked happy. President Khamar still hadn't taken his eyes off of her.

"It's no secret I have been watching you. Unfortunately, I am a very busy man and have responsibilities to attend to. I had someone else watch you for me. I hope you don't mind I didn't do all of the watching myself," he said, leaning across the desk as Topher left the room.

"Who did you have watching me?" How could someone else have been watching her without her knowing? She was aware of everything—or so she thought.

"Do not worry yourself about that. I just had to be sure you wouldn't tell anyone about anything."

"What are you talking about? Tell me what's going on. I'm tired of these mind games. Aren't you a bit old to be hiding in bushes and spying on teenagers?"

President Khamar's jaw clenched, making it look strong and symmetrical.

"I could not let you go around telling everyone about my son not being my son. Especially since you believe it so strongly."

"How could you possibly know what I believe? Everyone knows K.J. is adopted, anyway. It's no secret. That trick you pulled when I had my tryout was clever, but there's no way you could have known I thought K.J. to be my brother."

"My dear, I knew you had your suspicions the moment you asked your mother if K.J. looked like he could be Spencer's twin. Do you know how ideas are born? Much in the same way plants are. All you need is a seed. That question was your seed and all the events leading up to this point have formed it into something more, whether you are aware of it or not. It is there, still growing. Eventually though, like an uncontrollable weed destroying everything in its way, it must be cut down.

"Everything that has happened from that moment has led to this. Destiny, if you will, has brought you here. This secret you keep, along with all the others you have learned of, must remain what they are: secrets." President Khamar smirked. "Though, if anything ever got out, I'm sure no one would believe you anyway."