Chapter Fifteen (pt. 9)

Principal Moore

Benjamin Moore had not always dreamed he would be in charge of an adult staff and a slew of children. He had always wanted to be an astronomer—to use the principles of physics and mathematics to learn about the universe. He got his first telescope at the age of nine. He had taken it to school to show his friends, and they broke it—on purpose, too. Teased him because of his dream. Who would want to do something as boring as staring at stars?

He withdrew from his passion, letting more natural experiences and hobbies dictate his life. The back of his mind was where he kept the celestial body, only able to see it in his sleep. Acting out in school became normal for him. He would rather take his frustrations out on the people teaching him than those hindering him.

Asked to be principal for The Society High School, he said yes—of course. To be just out of reach of the stars seemed ideal. The only troubled student he had had the privilege to principal was Ivy. She was his favorite student, yet he could not let anyone know. Especially her. She was a reflection of him when he had once hidden his optimism about life and science.

When Ivy was exiled, he could not have cared in the slightest. She had never given him anything other than hope to one day be able to follow his dream. Now that she was back, he was asked to play a part. Why not? He had nothing better to do.

Wiping sweat from his hairless head, he spoke over the intercom.

"The gates will be opening a little later today. After your last class, please report to homeroom for a mandatory, government-issued, test. Your parents have already been notified. Thank you."

Benjamin Moore leaned back in his chair and sighed. That was easy.