Chapter Thirteen (pt. 6)

Linus had a stick in his hands, which he rolled around a few times. They all gathered around him and the message. He handed the stick to Milo. "Read it out loud," he said.

Milo took it and after a few seconds of examination, began to read. "President Khamar is planning mass genocide. He has scheduled a meeting in The Square for everyone thirty years and older at four o'clock Sunday afternoon. I will be awaiting your instructions. Please respond as soon as possible."

The room was still. So still in fact, Ivy was sure he could hear everyone's brains ticking. "What will we do?" she asked, gentle-like so as not to disturb the silence too much.

"We aren't going to do anything," said Linus. "This isn't our problem. It isn't our fight."

"What? We have to do something," said Ivy. She looked to Yani and Zari with crazed eyes. They did not seem to care in the slightest.

"There's nothing for me up there," said Yani softly. "I have nobody. I wish to start fresh down here," she finished, looking to Linus.

"It would probably be best if my father dies," said Zari. "It would be good in more ways that one, actually."

"What about your sister?"

"Anywhere would be better for her than there."

"Well, what about me? My family is up there. I can't just sit here and let them get killed without doing anything. My sister won't have anyone."

"It's always about you, Ivy," said Zari. "A few hours ago you didn't seem to care about them when it came to starting over on Earth. You wanted them to stay there, didn't you? In their safe house within our safe society. You're a hypocrite."

"That was different."

Zari shook her head.

No one would make eye contact with Ivy as she looked around the room.

"I'm going," she said. "I'll put a stop to this." And with that, she left. Silent but deadly tears rolled down her cheeks and she wiped at them, trying to find her way back to the room she had woken up in that morning.

Once there, Ivy tried to pack up her things, but stopped once she realized she had nothing to gather. Furious, she sat down on the cot and cried. She let out all the anger and frustration she had been holding within herself. It was one of those cries that threatened to drown the heart. She had no plan.

"Are you okay?" a voice from behind her asked.

"Do I look okay to you?" she sobbed, looking to Keegan.

He walked to sit next to her on the cot. "I don't see anything wrong," he said wiping a runaway tear from her face. "I'm going with you."

"But you have nothing to fight for. Your whole life is down here."

"If something is worth fighting for, you fight," said Keegan. "My father taught me that, but he seems to have forgotten it."

"I can't let anything happen to them. Everything that has happened has been my fault." Ivy stood to pace the room. "We have to leave tonight. Maybe if we walk all day and night we can make it there before Sunday."

"I've got a better idea," said Keegan. "We ride."

Ivy stopped pacing long enough to look at him in wonder. "Ride what?"

"Land creatures."

"No way!"

"It's the only way. If we only stop to rest once, when the heat is at it's worst, we would be able to get there by tomorrow night."

After a few minutes of consideration, Ivy agreed. "Let's leave now. I'll tell the others we're going."

"I've already told them," said Keegan, blocking her path to the door. "Milo and Zari have agreed to come with us. It only took a little persuasion. Milo has always wanted to see The Society, and Zari seems to always want to see Milo. My father will stay behind with Yani. I think he might like her."

"You aren't mad he's moving on from your mom?"

"No. I'm just happy he's found someone. She'll never be forgotten."

A sudden impulse moved through Ivy's body and she enveloped Keegan in a tight hug. "Thank you," she whispered. Her tears were gone and only faint sniffles remained as a gentle reminder of previous turmoil.

"Let's go." He bent to pick up one of the empty backpacks Ivy and Zari had arrived with. Ivy grabbed the second and followed him out the door.