Chapter Seven (pt. 1)

Ivy resembled a freshly bloomed flower as she walked into the hospital building to meet Alex again. She had not put up a fight when her mother had applied a little makeup to her face and did her hair. Her father did not accompany her this time. She knew the way to the intensive care ward herself.

"Good morning, miss! This is a pleasant surprise. My, you look pretty. Here to see Alex, I presume?"

The smile on Terri's face made Ivy grin even harder. "Yes, sir. It's been pretty busy around here with all his visitors, hasn't it?" She held his eye contact and watched his body language closely.

"Oh, no, miss. It's still been only been you and one other person so far. But things will get better. I can feel it. He's started eating again, and he—well, I'll let you see for yourself."

Terri gestured for Ivy to follow him to the door, which slid open with a swipe of his keycard. Again, there was no one else in the ward besides Alex, but it was not the Alex she had seen just days before. He was out of bed, rolling around in a wheelchair, looking healthier than before.

It took him a while before he noticed Ivy and Terri standing by the doorway. He looked up, blushing at his daftness, as he took Ivy in.

"You have a visitor," said Terri unnecessarily.

"Thank you," said Alex as Terri walked away, leaving Ivy alone as the doors slid shut behind him.

She stepped forward, pretending to look at the brilliant white walls and rows of empty beds, like she had never seen them before. "I told you I would visit again."

"You look lovely," said Alex after he cleared his throat. "I mean, even more lovely than you usually do."

Blood rushed to Ivy's cheeks. "Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself."

"They gave me a wheelchair. Who needs legs when you can have wheels, right?" Alex showed off by popping wheelies.

"Right," Ivy whispered. She sat down on his bed. It was unkempt, probably what it would look like in his room at home.

"How was the first day on the job?"

"It was fine. I probably saw a little too much for one day, though."

"I'm sure you did great," he said, continuing to roll around.

"Alex."

The tone in Ivy's voice made him stop and stare at her.

"Yeah?"

"Why did you lie the other day? About your visitors?"

He seemed suddenly apprehensive. His eyes started to dart all around the room, slowly at first, then more ardently. "How did you know I was lying?" He rolled closer to where Ivy sat.

"Terri told me you've only had one other visitor besides me. Even your parents haven't come to see you. Why would you lie?"

"I don't know. I was embarrassed, I guess. I have no contact with the rest of society. No on will let me outdoors. I haven't even been outside of this room. For all I know, my parents probably think I'm dead."

Ivy did not know what to do. She did not want to make Alex upset, but the curiosity inside her would not let up.

"Who is the other visitor?" She held her breath as she awaited his answer. Something in the back of her mind told her she already knew.

"Why are you asking so many questions?" Alex demanded. "Have you nothing else to do? Is this why you visit me? It this why you come here?"

Ivy scrambled for words—for the right ones this time. "No, I was just trying to make conversation." Alex's questions had registered in her mind, however. Ivy didn't want to believe it, but there was some truth behind his words.

"Do you really want to know who's been visiting?" Alex asked calmly; the sort of calm right after a storm, where there is still a fresh memory of the damage created.

Unsure if she really wanted to hear his reply, Ivy nodded.

"Tima Stane."

"No." Ivy shook her head in disbelief. "See, you're lying again. What's the point in lying? Who are you protecting?" She stood to look down at him. "Have fun rolling around in your 'room.'" She moved to leave. Tears started to form in her eyes as she turned her back to Alex.

"I think she thinks I might be the one," he yelled behind her as the doors opened and closed, leaving him in solitude once again.

Outside of the room, Terri was not at his desk, which relieved Ivy. She did not want to have to explain why she was crying. She didn't even quite know herself. She didn't even like Alex. He was not the type of guy she would be interested in anyway. As her tears dried, Ivy chuckled at the idea of Alex being the one. Tima visiting Alex was impossible, she concluded. The tears that had once stained her face were now distant memories. She stood alone outside of the hospital wing that held Alex.

There was no way Tima could have visited Alex. Tima was sick. She didn't even really know him. It had to be a lie. Ivy jumped into action. Terri's desk was unmanned and therefore subject to interrogation. It did not take long to find the logbook of visitors. Ivy spotted her name and one other. She let out an audible gasp when she read: President Khamar Cozart, printed in small, neat letters.