Chapter Fifteen (pt. 5)

Spencer

She walked as if no one were watching. She was on a mission. Proud to have such a cool older sister who crafted elaborate plans out of thin air, she walked with a smile. Entrusted with a task to complete was why she was alive. She was sure of it. She had to find her best friend before school started and the gates closed. The air was crisp though not cold so she did not walk fast.

Where would he be? She had not spoken to him for several days, and although she knew of all the places he loved to go, she got a sense he would not be at any of those places. Then she remembered. The last time they had talked, he had mentioned something he had found. Grass—an actual blade of grass that he kept hidden. About to ask where he had it hidden, they had to separate.

Spencer knew where he would be. Turning a corner close to the school, she saw him huddled like a deprived man would around a fire one cold night. The willow tree stood as a token of the past. He was the only one there. Most people did not care about the simple beauty a tree could hold—whose roots had limited space to grow yet still lived on. It was magical.

She approached, stopping a few feet away so as not to frighten him.

"K.J."

The boy turned around with big eyes, caught with something he should not have.

"How did you know?" he asked.

"Because it makes sense."

Her explanation seemed to satisfy him. He turned back around as she sat next to him and they both looked to the tree.

"Can you show me the trick you talked about?" Spencer asked.

K.J. held the blade of grass up to his lips. Held taunt in between his thumbs, he blew. A piercing tweet broke free. He handed it over to her.

"Want to try?"

Spencer held it cupped in both hands as she would an ancient artifact if she ever came across one. It was long and slender and felt smooth yet sticky at the same time. She held it up in front of her eyes. Unlike the unnatural grass she was accustomed to, this color green was less vibrant—less green.

"Where did you find it?"

"My mom gave it to me. Go on, try it."

Imitating the way K.J. had held the blade of grass in between his thumbs, Spencer blew. Nothing came of her effort but the mixture of spit and wind. She tried a second time with the same results.

K.J. laughed.

"I like the fake grass anyway," she said, handing it back.

"No you don't."

"You're right, I don't."

The conversation lulled as they both stared at the tree in front of them. The bark looked rough and tired as if only being admired by a few people had worn it down. The branches sagged under the weight of delicate leaves. It looked unloved.

"You have to come to school with me today," said Spencer.

"Why?"

"I can't really explain it."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't really understand."

"That stinks."

Spencer turned to him. "No it doesn't. All I need is time. In a few years I will be able to look back and understand everything that's happening. I know that for sure."

"Think I'll be able to do the same?"

"I don't know. I've heard girls are much smarter than boys so it might take you a few extra years."

K.J. nodded. "I'll go with you, then."

"Good."

They rose, but not before K.J. buried the blade of grass his mother had given him before she died. They left behind the tree with a small patch of dirt near its base that was darker than the rest.