Chapter Fifteen (pt. 2)

A sliver of sunlight targeting her alone shone on Ivy's face, waking her. It came from a cracked shutter she could have sworn had been shut hours previously when it was still dark and she was still awake thinking of how she did not like Keegan. How she did not have feelings for any boy at the moment and how she was okay with that. Not purposeful in any way, but she wanted to be the only one that defined herself.

She sat up. Across the room lay Zari and Milo, strategically intertwined in a way that made sure his injured leg would not be touched even in the case of an accident. The sound of shuffling feet below peaked her interest. She looked over at Keegan, who was still asleep, and rose to find the source of the noise.

Walking as though on eggshells, she found a door that led to a lower level. It was dark, but there was light at the bottom that drifted towards her eyes. Ivy had discovered the living quarters of Tom Tom, whose messy hair sent the message that he had also just woken up.

"What are you doing?" Ivy asked, stepping into the light.

Tom Tom dropped the pan he had just taken down from a shelf. It landed with a clamor that reverberated off the walls.

"Goodness, I didn't see you there, Ivy. I thought I'd make you all some breakfast." He picked up the pan and set it on the stovetop. "Today's a big day. Plus, when I get anxious I like to cook."

Ivy stood by as Tom Tom milled about the kitchen. "Why are you nervous?" she asked. He didn't have a major part to play.

He stopped operating to look at her. "People's lives are in our hands. So much can go wrong."

"I don't think any of us will be able to eat," Ivy said after a few minutes of silence.

Tom Tom gave a wane smile. "I should have figured that."

A siren rang out, interrupting the oxygen intake of Ivy's lungs. She ran back upstairs with Tom Tom close behind.

"Attention, citizens: This is an announcement concerning everyone between the ages of thirty and fifty. There will be a mandatory meeting in The Square today at four o'clock. Please plan accordingly."

The speakers buzzed out, ending the message.

"What was that?" Keegan asked.

Everyone had woken, looking around bewildered.

"Topher played his part," said Ivy. "We have the time."

They all looked at her as if she were their leader. She was not, however. Or at least she hoped she did not carry such a heavy burden of responsibility. One could never know for sure what their responsibilities were unless they were an inch away from one's face.

"What do we do, then?"

"We hope everyone is successful in their part. In the meantime, we wait."

It was so simple. She made it look easy.