Chapter Eleven (pt. 4)

Ivy pulled out a pair of black plainclothes similar to the ones she had worn for the Exploration Unit. Two flashlights were next, followed by enough water and non-perishable food to last for several days.

Zari had extracted all of the same items except the clothes were bigger and there was a foldable tent.

"You and Yani should change out of those red clothes," said Zari.

"Good idea."

They changed and then settled into silence.

"Tell us what's going on, Ivy," said Yani. "What are we going to do?"

"I..." Ivy hesitated. "I believe there is another society that exists here on Earth."

The other two gazed at her with wide eyes and open mouths.

"How do you know?" Zari asked. "I mean, how can you be sure?"

"I'm not one hundred percent sure. That's the problem. Remember the first location Enzo took us to? I tried to explore that cave our second time there and I think I saw something."

"You think?"

"I'm pretty sure I saw something," Ivy rephrased.

"Well what are we waiting for?" Yani asked. She was sweating the most out of the three.

"It will be easier to travel at night," said Ivy. "I say we set up the tent here and get some rest."

"Okay, but I don't know how to set up a tent," said Zari. "Do you?"

"No," said Ivy.

The two looked to Yani.

"What? You think I'm old so I must know how to do it?"

Zari and Ivy glanced at each other before they nodded.

"Well, I don't."

Zari squinted into the sun, which was almost overhead. "We need to figure it out quickly. Yani and I will burn faster than you, Ivy."

The sun was only getting stronger as midday approached. There was nothing to protect them from its rays besides the occasional gust of wind that relieved the pain.

"It can't be that hard," said Ivy as she spread the tent out. "We can figure it out."

As they worked, waves of heat beat down their backs, threatening to scald them if they stayed motionless for too long. After what seemed like hours, a steady structure stood before them. Something that resembled a tent would have to do. It was a good thing the shelter happened to be the same color the ground on which it stood, for it provided excellent camouflage.

"We should take turns on guard," Yani suggested.

"On guard for what?" Zari asked. "There's nothing out here."

"Have you forgotten about the ground creatures? We aren't safe."

"The ground creatures aren't dangerous. Those bodies back there were for the air creatures. They're the dangerous ones."

"How can you be sure?"

Ivy and Zari caught each other's eye.

"Did he tell us the ground creatures were safe?" Ivy asked.

"I can't remember. I just assumed. But what else is there for them to eat out here?"

"We should take turns watching, then," said Yani.

"I'll go first," Zari offered.

"I'll go second," said Yani.

"How long should the shifts be?"

"I'd say three hours. That'll give everyone a full six to rest and then we can pick up and travel at eight," said Yani.

"I thought you said I wouldn't burn as easily as you two. Why don't I take the shift when the sun is at its peak?" Ivy asked.

Zari ran her fingers through her hair. "Because I'd rather get an uninterrupted six hours instead of having two separate three hour ones or even having to set out again right after I stand guard."

"I'm just the opposite," said Yani. "Two three hour periods is just what I need. You don't mind, do you? I'm sure we can figure something out if it's a problem."

Ivy shook her head. "No, I don't mind. I was just thinking of you guys."

Zari took a seat outside the tent as Ivy and Yani settled within. Pretty soon, Ivy could hear Yani's snores. The sound brought forward thoughts of her father. What would he be doing at this exact moment? Sitting in his office? Doing paperwork? Maybe even enjoying his Father's Day? No, probably not. There had been nothing joyous about the day. On that final thought, Ivy drifted into a dreamless sleep.

"Wake up," Ivy heard someone whisper. She was being shaken. "Ivy, wake up."

The voice sounded like it was coming from another world. She was shaking again. "Ivy."

Ivy awoke and sat straight up, dripping sweat into her lap. Yani kneeled over her, equally as damp.

"I couldn't have been asleep for more than five minutes," said Ivy. She had woken into one of those moments where it took some time to remember where she was and why.

"Try six hours," said Yani, already lying down. She passed Ivy Zari's watch. "To keep the time."

Ivy moved to the mouth of the tent, opened it, and stepped outside. She felt how much cooler it was as she sat in the dirt and waited for time to pass.