Chapter Three (pt. 3)

Ivy awoke with a headache. One look out of her window told her she was not going to have a good day. It was gloomy and gray outside, which was rare considering how high above the clouds they were. Ivy got out of bed without being forced to do so by her mother.

"Sit, sit," said Mr. Stone, piling pancakes onto a plate for Ivy as she entered the kitchen, having already dressed for the day. Everyone else was still donning their black nightclothes. Ivy drowned her pancakes in syrup before eating them.

"Who's birthday is coming up?" said Mrs. Stone looking up from her plate.

Spencer stopped eating to answer. "Mine!"

"How old will you be?" Mr. Stone asked. "Thirteen or fourteen? I forget which one," he teased.

"Eight!" Spencer yelled. 

Ivy laughed at how excited Spencer got over such things. 

"What do you want for it this year?" their mother asked. "I know there's not much to choose from, but we'll try to make it happen, whatever it is."

"Some frames for my pictures," said Spencer, having obviously already put some thought towards what she wanted for her birthday. 

"We will see," said Mr. Stone. They had always tried to put a little uncertainty behind the business of opening presents, making sure the receiver was never too sure they would get what they had asked for.

"It's on Father's Day this year, right?" Ivy asked. 

Mr. Stone's eyebrows rose. "Is it? I didn't realize. Father's Day falls on June fifteenth this year?" Mr. Stone looked to his wife. 

"Yes, dear," she responded with a twinkle in her eye. "What would you like for Father's Day?"

"I don't know, but I'll figure it out and tell you as soon as I think of something." Mr. Stone grinned. 

Ivy nearly choked.

"I heard about the Exploration Unit tryouts," said Mrs. Stone. "Are you going?"

For the moment, everyone stopped eating to look at Ivy. It was as if a spotlight had been shoved in her face. She squinted into the beam of light that was not really there.

"Yes, I'm going to go for it. I'll tell my supervisor today."

Mr. Stone's eyes lit up. "I'm proud of you."

"Me too," said Spencer, syrup dripping from her chin.

"I'm sure you'll make it," Mrs. Stone added.

Ivy sat in silence as she ate the rest of her pancakes and sipped her yellow juice. She listened to her parents talk about their work and other people. Spencer chimed in about school, but did not mention the problem that was K.J.

"We're learning about Maple Price in school now," reported Spencer. "Without her, we wouldn't be here. I wish I could have met her. She sounds cool." The little girl licked all around her mouth for excess syrup, reminding Ivy of a baby who was just figuring out what their tongue was for.

"That sounds interesting. It's good you're learning about the history of The End. It's important to know the past in order to anticipate the future." Mr. Stone nodded wisely.

"You know, Spence," said Mrs. Stone, "I bet your class would be surprised that your father and I actually met Maple. She came to us herself and told us where to go to be safe. Of course we didn't find out how important she was until later, though."

"I don't think they would be surprised. Three other people said Maple had visited their parents, too. My teacher said Maple had a sister, too, but wouldn't tell us anything about her."